Coronado15 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by 5monkeys, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

If you do decide to open up the cockpit sole, I think you can get it back together without to much trouble.

2. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

[​IMG]

this was a dry fit of the new bulkhead, it's currently on the bench getting coated with plenty of epoxy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  3. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

It looks great. Looking forward to some pictures of the installation. :) I just noticed that there's a kid in the bow.

4. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

How's it going 5monkeys?

5. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

Hi Canracer,
    I was just thinking I was due to give you an update. It seems like I haven't made much progress, but I think it's the calm before the storm and it will all come together rather quickly :). Most of my attention of late has been on the trailer, as I need somewhere for the boat to go back to. We took lot's of parts off, sanded her down a bit and coated all the rusty parts with POR15. The undersides and cross members got Chassis black painted over the por15, the topsides I used white spray paint, I had picked the hammered white (was a white trailer) as I thought it would mask the many blemmishes.. I don't like how that turned out, the hammered paint just looks like bad paint, but either way it's better than it was for sure and my intent was to preserve the trailer and have it look good from 10-15 feet away. :) so I guess it'll pass that test. I still have some reassembly to do. Also picked up some new rollers for it the old ones where dry rotted and mushroomed and didn't actually roll anymore. I got new non-marking rollers. I have to re-order the bow roller though, I ordered the wrong thing :-(. the bunks and the winch post still need to be re-assembled and added back on to the trailer..

[​IMG]

On the boat itself, I bought a 4X8x2"panel of R-Tek yesterday and hacked that up into pieces. Now that I've done some test fitting I think at least one more panel is in order. but I'm considering a third panel that I might install vertically along the outside of the cockpit stringers. If that makes sense.

Also, I have wanted to add a bow eye, to the boat. I don't like how loading it on the trailer with the winch puts a lot of downward pressure on that forward chainplate and the deck. I also wanted to add that forward piece to anchor the deck to the hull at the forward chainplate, is that still a bulkhead? Either way, I came up with this design to install inside the bow. I should have rotated the picture but the arch to the right goes to the underside of the deck, and then there is an integrated backing plate for the bow eye, obviously goes to the bow. :)

[​IMG]

That's all for now.

Attached Files:

6. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

Quick update.. .we just finished putting 2 1/2 sheets (4'x8'x2") of R-Tech closed cell foam in the boat.. it's under the sole, and packed in the sides I may need to add a strip of glass tape to hold the forward portions in place as I don't think they are going to stick to the underside of the sole as I had hoped.

...I also just spread epoxy to the top and bottom of the compression post and slid that into place, for some reason it doesn't fit as sung as it had before so had to build that up a bit. I hope it works. I still have some pieces cut to place over the CB/CP butt joint that will sister them together, I'll try and add those tomorrow... I also intend to go back around it all once dries to add fillets between hull and base, also CP and underside of sole. Then it's bulkhead time!

7. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

That trailer is looking good. I bought new keel rollers and I've always wished I had those bunks that run side to side. Not sure what they're called but they are fitted to the hull, and they run side to side, not fore and aft. The keel rollers always get caught in the centerboard slot.

8. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

I thought about replacing my rollers with the 12" wide keel rollers to avoid that centerboard trunk issue you mention, our hulls are fairly flat on the bottom so the shallow v shouldn't be an issue. In the end I didn't want to drop $40 on that right now so I went with the $6 replacement part. I might change them out later. If it continues to be an issue. I think roller bunks are what you are referring to.

In the meantime, I have the CP and the bulkheads glassed in place. I'm reluctant to take pictures In there because it doesn't look as nice as I had hoped, it's not easy for me to get in there to do the work. I even tried reaching through my little 4" access holes (in the bulkhead itself) to get the back side.. but that's pretty tough to do. so I'm not sure how strong it is on that side (actually I'm fairly certain strong doesn't even enter the conversation).. but I've got two layers of tape around the forward side. It feels pretty solid but I may add a third anyway. I also had #4 monkey glass in my bow bulkhead/bow eye backing plate as I couldn't reach that at all. I think it's fairly strong.. but I may need to try harder to reach it for some cleanup and to place the through holes for the bow eye.

9. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

See the way this boat rides? The bunks are side to side. This would be a good way to trailer. Maybe someday I'll build a set but right now I'm surviving with the rollers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Wow, installed! Looks good.

12. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

Or at least the mast step is installed, the bulkheads are hard to see. How Is it going? Are you ready to go sailing?

13. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

I'm still upside down in the garage, I had ordered a sailcloth cb gasket that I need to install before I flip her over. Then I have some hardware to reseat.. there seems to be no end to the little things I could be doing. Coming up on the 1 year anniversary of taking ownership of this boat. I hope to celebrate that by plunking her back in the water. :)

14. 5monkeys

5monkeys Senior Member

It doesn't look like much, but that's the new sailcloth centerboard gasket installed. I don't like the leading edge, I may trim the plastic retainers back and make an aluminum piece that will fit crosswise over that leading edge but that will have to wait for now.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Canracer

Canracer Senior Member

There will always be a certain amount of drag caused by the gasket. When sailing, you'll want to look into the slot and see if the captured water is calm. If the water is "churning" excessively then the gasket could use adjusting. Those screws can slowly leak. After about an hour or so of sailing on your first day out, get the boat on the trailer and tilt the bow way up. Undo the transom drain and watch how much water runs out. The less water the better. From what I've seen, gasket installation is a two man job (at the min.)