Convert a wooden boat to fiberglass?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Frizbee, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Frizbee

Frizbee arrrrrrrrrr!!!!

To make a long story short, I’m inheriting a 113 foot wooden gullet. I have only had a chance to see this thing once as that it is currently down in the Virgin Islands. It’s long over due to be pulled and the hull painted. My question is, how long do wooden hulls last, and is it possible to convert the hull to fiberglass if I decided to keep it? I’ve considered converting this thing to be a home. I’m trying to bring down the long term costs of maintenance. Can you just convert the wooden planks to fiberglass ones? I have no clue how boats are built, about the stress these materials are under.

2. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Friz,

Start walking, don't look back.

Yoke.

3. Frizbee

Frizbee arrrrrrrrrr!!!!

don't tell me that. so far, its not in too bad of shape, i think. should i just sell it and try and buy something fiberglass? i just noticed fiberglass boats this size cost way too much money. but i don't want to put money into a boat that isn't going to last.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Well-built and well-maintained wooden boats can last pretty close to forever.
    Sometimes people will fibreglass over the planks of a wood boat. This usually works wonders for a year or two, then the bond starts to separate and fills with water. The wood then rots away. In other words, bad idea.
    Since the boat's already wooden, stick with that. You can't simply pull wood off and put glass on in its place, the materials have totally different properties.
    You need a marine surveyor. A good one familiar with big wooden boats. Give him some money and a few days with the boat, he'll come back with a detailed report saying exactly what is rotted or broken. Then you can tell whether it's worth fixing up.

5. Roly

Roly Senior Member

From my experience in fibreglassing my own wooden boat I would ,:), not do it again.I had multiple people advising me not to ,but having done a reasonable amount of laminating was fixated by the idea.
    If your boat is carvel plank on frame ,caulked,definitely don't do it. Gluing and splining is way to much work. And if you dont turn the hull into a monocoq. structure the two systems are incompatiable.
    If you are re-engineering your boat, as in glassing inside and out,don't do it. Too much work.You could build a new one in the same time.
    Also with long term immersion there will be adhesion problems to your existing hull. (salt saturation-read will not dry to resin manufactures specs and other possible contaminate problems, ie fuel leaks)
    There have been successes that defy the above but they are a minority.(Vaises (sp?) method)
    IMHO, anyway!
    See My "quick repair" below
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2120245606

6. Frizbee

Frizbee arrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Well I’m going to take the hint and not fiberglass coat it. I guess what I’m going to have to have done is have the hull checked out, pulled and painted. I’m going to have to start researching my options for that. Thanks a ton for all your help. If anybody out there has worked with larger wooden ships, please feel free to contact me or spam me with tips. I’m sure in the next year when I finally get the ship, ill need all the help I can get.

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Glad we can be of help. Do keep visiting the forum, you're most welcome here and feel free to bug us with photos, questions, whatever!

8. Richard Hillsid

Richard Hillsid Senior Member

Yes photos please

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.