Composites

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Manie B, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

I got me neeew toys today

Wynand and Fanie have made beeeeeeg advances this week - congrats guys

Just for info - AMT has a series of workshops on Saturdays - R450 including lunch - in april will be a good one, also on infusion. Butch and Wynand you are welcome to sleep at my place - any way Fanie is just down the road.

Here is a pic of my stock
    left to right
    peelply - - 450 g stitched - - 750 g stitched - -KEVLAR :D = aramid 170 g - - aramid / polyester combo 170g/281/120p - - CARBON :D 200g

so i will keep all and sundry posted on some pretty cool **** that i am going to do to my dinghy (to bloody well learn man) and then apply to the minicat

next year we are gone build some serious **** :D :D :D
    Wynands racer
    Fanie's folding tri
    Butch's classic
    and my frikken 12m cat :rolleyes:

jeez if the missus ever finds out what carbon fibre costs i will have to go and sleep by Fanie :D :D :D

anyway folks - keep on smiling
    and dont worry - my boats will be bullet proof and they could probably float as well :D :D :D

Attached Files:

• 32.jpg
      32.jpg
      File size:
      830.2 KB
      Views:
  2. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Hey Manie

You should look around SA for a supply of multiaxial basalt fabrics. I know they're there as FastCat's have used them in their ultra-lightweight Green Motion cats. I was promised some samples from the FastCat owner but never delivered. The basalt fabrics are cheaper than carbon, lighter and stronger than fiberglass.

Just a thought.

3. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Manie jou ou bliksem, that is some nice stuff you have and I am green with envy:D
    Why not come visit and we can see how that stuff performs - got the pumps, traps, my "vacuum booster tank", table, space, beers and on top I can arrange for a few Vrystaat ladies for entertainment and distraction....

4. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Rick thanks for the tip - i will most certainly do some homework on basalt fabrics

Wynand i am most certainly on my way to you next week - cant bloody wait. I am most definately closing shop this friday 12 Dec - thank goodness - this has been an extrememely difficult year for everybody

Dont worry i am still going to give you sleepness nights with my "experiments" :D
    between all the stuff that you guys are doing (incl. Fanie's) we might even be able to write the RSA book on how to :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.