Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Construction > Boatbuilding > Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 12-09-2008, 04:20 PM

Rep: 1712 Posts: 1,798
Composites

I got me neeew toys today

Wynand and Fanie have made beeeeeeg advances this week - congrats guys

Just for info - AMT has a series of workshops on Saturdays - R450 including lunch - in april will be a good one, also on infusion. Butch and Wynand you are welcome to sleep at my place - any way Fanie is just down the road.

Here is a pic of my stock
left to right
peelply - - 450 g stitched - - 750 g stitched - -KEVLAR = aramid 170 g - - aramid / polyester combo 170g/281/120p - - CARBON 200g

so i will keep all and sundry posted on some pretty cool **** that i am going to do to my dinghy (to bloody well learn man) and then apply to the minicat

next year we are gone build some serious ****
Wynands racer
Fanie's folding tri
Butch's classic
and my frikken 12m cat

jeez if the missus ever finds out what carbon fibre costs i will have to go and sleep by Fanie

anyway folks - keep on smiling
and dont worry - my boats will be bullet proof and they could probably float as well
Attached Thumbnails
Composites-32.jpg  

Old 12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Provocateur & Raconteur

Rep: 641 Posts: 719
Hey Manie

You should look around SA for a supply of multiaxial basalt fabrics. I know they're there as FastCat's have used them in their ultra-lightweight Green Motion cats. I was promised some samples from the FastCat owner but never delivered. The basalt fabrics are cheaper than carbon, lighter and stronger than fiberglass.

Just a thought.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Retired Steelboatbuilder

Rep: 1806 Posts: 1,245
Manie jou ou bliksem, that is some nice stuff you have and I am green with envy
Why not come visit and we can see how that stuff performs - got the pumps, traps, my "vacuum booster tank", table, space, beers and on top I can arrange for a few Vrystaat ladies for entertainment and distraction....

My Webpage: Steel Boatbuilding: http://5psi.net
Old 12-10-2008, 12:32 AM

Rep: 1712 Posts: 1,798
Rick thanks for the tip - i will most certainly do some homework on basalt fabrics

Wynand i am most certainly on my way to you next week - cant bloody wait. I am most definately closing shop this friday 12 Dec - thank goodness - this has been an extrememely difficult year for everybody

Dont worry i am still going to give you sleepness nights with my "experiments"
between all the stuff that you guys are doing (incl. Fanie's) we might even be able to write the RSA book on how to