Completely re-doing a 12 foot Jon Boat lots of ???

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by speedrebel09, Apr 28, 2010.

1. speedrebel09

speedrebel09 New Member

First boat, and needs LOTS OF WORK. It's an old 12 foot Sears Jon Boat, made out of ABS plastic. Has lots of little Cracks and chips and one nickel sized hole. Got it and trailer for some yard work.

I can do the trailer no problem, I'm good with my hands.

But, with the plastic being cracked, should it be chipped off and start over with fiberglass? or should the fiberglass be applied and worked with of course over top of the cracked plastic? Lots of prep of course.

I can do any automotive body work, but I'm clueless when it comes to boats. funny.

I looking to completely overhaul this boat. Patching is not an option.

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

The bad news is that if its plastic (not fiberglass) then its most likely not ABS, more like polyethylene, which is very difficult to repair. If there are cracks all over and holes in it, its pretty much done for.

Things will stick to ABS, but like other plastics, if its aged and weathered to the point of cracking, then there's no hope for it.

3. speedrebel09

speedrebel09 New Member

Possibly not. But it's worth a try. I'm thinking about pressure washing the current plastic, sanding it then Fiber glassing over the plastic. sand and paint. Then Clear coat possibly. I realize that gel coat would probably be better but trying to keep a slight budget here.

Then for the inside, level and carpet. Re do the seats, add battery, interior lights, exterior lights, and reinforce the transom for a 15 horse out board. Then add a trolley motor. It will be one bad azz boat. Even though the skeleton ain't the best, it'll do for my first boat, and boat project.

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Can you post a pic so we can see which Sears boat it is, they made many models from many different materials.

5. Lurvio

Lurvio Mad scientist

Many plastics can be welded. Might be worth to check out.

6. speedrebel09

speedrebel09 New Member

Yeah I'll post a pic when I get to the house.

7. speedrebel09

speedrebel09 New Member

here are some pics little rough now, and a lot of work ahead of me. But It's something to do to keep me out of trouble.

I know it probably ain't worth it.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      316.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      339.6 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      306.4 KB
      Views:
  8. Lurvio

Lurvio Mad scientist

That's a good looking boat you've got there. :)

L

9. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Quote "Many plastics can be welded. Might be worth to check out."

True, the difference is that fresh plastic in good shape can be welded and if done correctly may hold up. The problem is that aged plastic cracks because it has been weakened, typically from UV exposure, when this happens no amount of welding will help or hold up.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.