cold weather glassing

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by rturbett, Mar 7, 2006.

1. rturbett

rturbett Senior Member

Gentlemen,
    I let this mild winter and early season sunshine get the best of me. I did some hull glasswork outdoors. Please tell me if I made a mistake. The temperature was about 55 degrees in the sun, a little warmer inside the hull. Resin impregnated mat (spheretex) was put down with west epoxy- slow cure. The problem is within a few hours the temperature was back down to 25 degrees.
    It warmed up again today, but will get cold again tonight. Will the glass lose any strength going through this process? Or is it ok once it cures?
    I know west does not recommend using their product below 60 degrees, but it just seemed so nice outside:cool: , and so much work to get the boat in the workshop:( .......

Thanks,
    Rob

2. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

oops

get ready to start scraping!!! did it kick ???:D

3. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

take a heat gun and see if a section will cure dont cook it though if it wont cure have fun scraping epoxy needs to be done at warm temp and the cold of night may retard it pass the point of rescue

4. rturbett

rturbett Senior Member

It seems to be solid. I am wondering if it is as strong as epoxy cured at normal temperatures.

Good luck is often better than good skill.
    Rob

5. Deering

Deering Senior Member

I think you'll be OK. It may take a while at warmer temp for the epoxy to reach final strength so be careful moving it.

Also, I believe cold temps result in more amine blush in some formulations (West slow is one I believe) so make sure you pay attention to surface cleaning/prep before next layer.

6. rturbett

rturbett Senior Member

Thanks- all seems well and solid. Fortunately with the thick mat I used, I won't need another layer. I will pay closer attention to the weather, though.
    Rob

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.