cloth vs roven

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by rotfix, Feb 13, 2008.

1. rotfix

rotfix Junior Member

i went to a local supplier to get some poly resin, pretty good price but they didn't have a huge selection. they didn't have roven woven so i got a bunch of mat and 8oz cloth.

will extra layers of those take the place of roven or should i get some roven?

this is to replace stringers and deck on a 23' inboard ski boat.

thanks

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

If I'm not mistaken the cloth is referred to as woven as well ? Did you perhaps meant chopstrand ?

Anyway, the cloth (if it is fiberglass cloth) should work just fine. I don't know how much 8 oz is - the only oz I know of is from the whizard of oz - fiberglass cloth is available in various thicknesses, from tissue to 'really?' but around the middle is 400 - 700g/m^2 which works quite nice and is probably the most commonly used weight per m^2

Also do a search, if I'm still not mistaken there was another thread this was discussed on, also bulkheads.

3. rotfix

rotfix Junior Member

yes, fanie...8 oz cloth. from what i understand, roven is just a heavier cloth.

thanks for the help

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

It's the same thing then. If you're not absolutely sure about how it's worked with, find someone who knows how to or go to a boat manufacturer and ask them to show you how they work with it.

5. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

You would be better off with roving, either 18 or 24 oz. The cost of cloth is very high when compared to roving and isn't used much by boat builders for this and other reasons. You will also need to use mat as the first layer and between each layer of roving or cloth.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  6. rotfix

rotfix Junior Member

damn, ondarvr....you've got it all covered.

i see you saw my other post on iboats...you've been particularly helpful with my questions. thanks!

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

In addition to other comments:
    Cloth is easier to wet without airbubles and used when wishing a clear finish . Rowing gives more strength..

8. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

And Fanie, the only folks out this way that use grams are pharmacist and illegal drug sellers. Sorry chap, but we're not budging, not matter how much you make fun of our better system.....

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Be honest Danny, the metric system works so easy. If I'm not mistaken it is only the US in the whole world tha's not 'budging'. We even got the UK to come around to our thinking and what happened ? The pound is gaining on the dollar ;) Oh I see they're still stuck with that pound. We'll change their currency to kg too, soon :D

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Te-he... 6" or 9" will always be just that in some circles. I doubt that will ever change anywhere in the world :D

11. rickr

rickr Junior Member

rotfix
    I've been getting the resin and fiberglass from
    http://www.uscomposites.com/specialty.html
    Great prices and cheap fast shipping.

The TS6M's OE stringer fiberglass thickness (roving and mat) was a little less than .1" so for the Supra I used 2 layers of 1708 (.04"each), BUT, it was brought to my attention by a Forum Member I should have used one layer of 1708 and another of 1808 for more strength.

12. Roly

Roly Senior Member

Yup metric-imperial is a pain. Thats what I like about Gerr. He covers both. I continue to be supplied in metric and think in both.Mainly 'cos of you guys!
    (US of A) CSM is a real odd ball 0z/ft^2. Just as well I don't use it! But then
    converting poly layups to epoxy/stitched fabrics is a chore in itself.(For skin thickness-again Gerr is an excellent reference)
    BTW, I have no business relationship with DG!:D

13. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

If you're trying to replace 24 oz woven roving with 8 oz cloth, I suggest using three layers of the cloth separated by mat (presuming the mat is 1 or 1-1/2 oz). Heck, even if woven roving was available, I'd use multiple layers of 8 oz cloth.