cedar scantling ?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by snow 57, Oct 7, 2007.

1. snow 57

snow 57 Junior Member

Hi Guys,
    I am after advice on the thickness for strip plank western red cedar/epoxy construction of a 12m(42ft) sailing cat.
    I built two multi hulls back in the early nineties using western red cedar but since then have been using a balsa core material about 13mm (half inch) for the hulls.
    My memory says the cedar was about the same thickness but I have no records.
    Thanks Snow

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Chris White designed the 40 ft Skyhook trimaran, at 8000 lbs, for western red cedar strip construction. The thickness was 1/2". No cold-molding was added to this. Cloth and epoxy inside and out. So 1/2" seems just about right.

Alan

3. snow 57

snow 57 Junior Member

Hi Alan,
    Yes I kind of remembered that was the thickness we used but it was near ten years ago and there's been too much whiskey under the bridge since then
    Thanks Snow

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.