Canting keel bearings - Bulkhead attachm.

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by lausl, Dec 22, 2008.

1. lausl

lausl carpe diem yacht design

my first canting keel boat on the drawing board.
    there are different ways to attach the bearings
    of the canting axis to the load carrying bulkheads.

I am collecting different opinions, questions are:

Do we have to use sperical bearings
    Should those be housed such that we can pull (uninstall)the
    axis downwards
    Are there bearings available of the shelf

Klaus

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I would guess those bearings would be plain bronze with a stainless steel shaft or pin. The bronze might be wormed (a groove spiralling around the inner surface) so that grease can be pumped in (maybe powered by the swinging of the keel itself).
    Neoprene O ring seals perhaps.
    There are many ways to design an assembly that can be disconnected for repair or transport, and I imagine there are several different designs out there.
    I'm just guessing. I have no idea how those mechanisms are actually built.
    I'm just extrapolating from existing similar bearings used in boats in salt water.
    Maybe someone can speak from experience.

3. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Klaus
    Since my disclosure of the most recent info I have on these systems would probably be frowned upon I will give some very general advice.
    Hidden within the construction of the canting system (and this is somewhat dependent on size and how it is powered) there are many pitfalls. Precise alignment, adequate structure, and the use of the right materials, will only avoid most of the problems. If you haven't access to some well experienced coaching with this, I would proceed directly to Cariboni and have the owner pay them to design this thing. They are a notoriously difficult company to deal with but really the best choice. I can tell you that these things can be a nightmare, or they can be fairly straightforward. Having experienced help can make all the difference.