Can anyone offer me some advice on my Hull repair

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Nicko1985, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Nicko1985

Nicko1985 New Member

Hello fellow boaters, I'm new to the scene and i've recent purchased an old runabout with some friends, it needs a crack/hole repaired in the hull on the underside, I can not gain access to the inside of the hull.

I have begun using a small grinder to expose the bad fiberglass and area around it, I was wondering if anyone can verify what I think i should do here, this is what the crack originally looked like:

[​IMG]

and this is what i've done so far to expose the hole so i can begin patching:

[​IMG]

So what I think I should do is sand back in an oval shape around the holes to expose a good amount of intact fiberglass than i can use to bond the new stuff too, and then start layering my fiberglass and resin.

Have I got the right idea? any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Nick

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Nicko i would cut a section out of the floor to get access from inside to do a proper repair . Epoxy is good but i would stick with poly resin for a glass boat repair. What boat is it. Do you have photos of it and the floor. The reason i would repair from inside is to add extra glass and strengthen the cracked area to prevent it happening again.

4. paxfish

paxfish Junior Member

I'll offer a suggestion when laying in glass. Cut your patches in progressively smaller sizes, and lay in your Largest patch of glass first. Then your next largest etc.

Your first instinct might be to laying in the smaller patch first, but that results in a weaker patch because you cut fibers when sanding. After sanding, you should see a series of rings in each patch kinda like this:

[​IMG]

Also, after it cures, take your first pass at smoothing with a Surform file. These things are awesome and guide you to where you need additional filler etc:

[​IMG]

5. Nicko1985

Nicko1985 New Member

Thanks everyone for the advice, will take on board what has been said and get in to it.

6. hoytedow

Protect yourself from airborne particles.

7. Nicko1985

Nicko1985 New Member

Hey mate, it's a 30 yr old 5.2 meter runabout that i've recently bought very cheaply with some friends just to get out on the water and do a bit of light fishing, we aren't really concerned with cosmetics, we just wanna patch it up so its functional for the summer, cutting a hole in the floor seems like too much work at the moment, we are gonna try and just patch it up from the outside quickly for now, if it bites us in the *** later so be it.

8. hoytedow

Whitepointer's advice is good. Keep the option open just in case.