Greetings forum members,
At last my project is underway.
( http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19034 )
After waiting almost an entire year for reasonable transport, my hull was delivered earlier this summer. I’ve got the cradle/hull leveled and with the help of a 5-beam and cross beam laser, I’ve been able to establish the offsets of the hull. I’m entering them into the computer and about to start working on the revised accommodation layout.
While this is taking place, I’d like to mine the collective wisdom of this forum regarding a construction detail. I’ve settled on Coosa Board (Bluewater 26) as the material for the deck, cabin and bulkhead structures. The composite hull has a 1” Core-Cell core. My question has to do with the bulkhead to hull connection.
Dave Gerr’s Elements of Boat Strength, calls for a trapezoidal foam spacer between the edge of the bulkhead and the hull of a FRP vessel. The foam is to spread the loads and eliminate hard spots. Disregarding for a moment the spacer’s additional function of providing a 45 degree transition from the hull to bulkhead for the tabbing material, does the hull still need to be cushioned from the hard edge of the bulkhead in cored construction? Since there is already 1” of foam and an inner laminated skin between the bulkhead and outer skin, I’m wondering if another inch or so of foam is required?
Regards,
SeaJay
At last my project is underway.
( http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19034 )
After waiting almost an entire year for reasonable transport, my hull was delivered earlier this summer. I’ve got the cradle/hull leveled and with the help of a 5-beam and cross beam laser, I’ve been able to establish the offsets of the hull. I’m entering them into the computer and about to start working on the revised accommodation layout.
While this is taking place, I’d like to mine the collective wisdom of this forum regarding a construction detail. I’ve settled on Coosa Board (Bluewater 26) as the material for the deck, cabin and bulkhead structures. The composite hull has a 1” Core-Cell core. My question has to do with the bulkhead to hull connection.
Dave Gerr’s Elements of Boat Strength, calls for a trapezoidal foam spacer between the edge of the bulkhead and the hull of a FRP vessel. The foam is to spread the loads and eliminate hard spots. Disregarding for a moment the spacer’s additional function of providing a 45 degree transition from the hull to bulkhead for the tabbing material, does the hull still need to be cushioned from the hard edge of the bulkhead in cored construction? Since there is already 1” of foam and an inner laminated skin between the bulkhead and outer skin, I’m wondering if another inch or so of foam is required?
Regards,
SeaJay