building my cheap/simple first boat for experience

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by bobbyzahn, May 29, 2006.

1. bobbyzahn

bobbyzahn Junior Member

Again I'd like to thank all those who sent me messeges and helped me think about this. The design I really wanted to do would cost a few hundred more to make the proper mold and I'd probably screw up the fiberglass part anyway. So I've decided to make a fairly simple design with a more modern looking closed deck, something between a futuristic submarine and a '60's cadillac.

Any input is greatly appreciated. As i will need it. Although, cost is a concern. This is mostly for practice so I can feel more confident in spending for the good epoxy resin next time. Until then it's the unwaxed polyester resin.

I did start my hull mold. It's white styrofoam glued in a somewhat fishing boat way. i used a simple wood frame-styrofoam panels, a hot glue gun, harder glue, and strips of plaster cloth to hold the edges. I'm planning on using plaster of paris on the inside to help reinforce the foam from the weight of the wet fiberglass when it is laid.
    I was planning on using tin foil over the mold for easy release.

My current progress can be seen here:
    http://www.snuffyalpine.com/boat1.html

Currently, it measures 8 feet long, 4 feet wide, and 16 inches deep. I plan on adding about 5-7 more inches all round the sides (finishing should be about 22 inches deep)

That's about it so far. Hopefully someone can tell me if this should float or not before I lay the glass.

Either way, I will finish a boat. I'd just rather it float.

bobby z

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

The styrene in polyester resin will dissolve your polystyrene mold. I'm not quite sure what you are doing but you might be better off using big heavy cardboard like refrigeraters come in and cover the whole thing with plastic sheeting like "visqueen" to keep the glass from sticking to the cardboard. Sam

3. antonfourie

antonfourie Senior Member

Bobby, download Freeship and check your design there, some tips

1. Draw in 2d first to get measurments of chine hight etc
    2. In Freeship start with the bottom panel i.e. 2 points in a horizontal direction.
    3. Then extrude the edge to get the sides and transom

4. bobbyzahn

bobbyzahn Junior Member

i just downloaded the freeship software. It's a bit much for me right now, so I'll figure it out tonight when I get home from work.

As to the polyseter melting the styrofoam, as posted, I planned on covering it with aluminum foil.

The advice is greatly appreciated.

bob z

5. Toot

Toot Senior Member

Oh my goodness... This from a fellow MR2 owner and Chicagoan. :confused:

Any update on this?