Building a fiberglass boat - PART 1 - Plans to the patterns

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by fispl, Jul 14, 2006.

1. fispl

fispl GRP BOAT SOLUTIONS

hello everybody

i read the wealth of information here & it sort of sometimes makes me feel like i'm reading the middle page of some epic. it's like every thread is some page in this huge magnum opus of the boating bible. it's just amazing. i was thinking of putting together a comprehensive reference guide for new & individual boatbuilders in layman's terms on these posts for each chapter of this epic. for example if we start here, let's each of us pool in our wealth of knowledge & experiences on a series of threads from beginning to the end of the process. since this is the boat building forum let's start from the building process of a GRP boat. let's say we have the designs on hand & nothing else. what would be the first things each of us would do. let's cover very little ground & a lot of options on this thread & every subsequent thread as i presume the experiences pouring in will probably overwhelm readers & make it difficult to digest. so let's talk about the plans in hand & maybe until lofting. we will deal with patterns mold plugs etc in subsequent posts. i invite all of you to share your thoughts & experiences on sequences, planning, organisation techniques etc on lofting & everything else until we're ready to make the patterns. let's say for example we're tracking an 8 meter fiberglass hull & foam core sandwich superstructure cuddy cabin. the intricate details of construction we can fine tune as we go along. i will try to keep things in perspective on these threads & anyone else willing to do so is most welcome. i request everyone to please take a moment to organise your thoughts sequentially before you post. anyone willing to better my effort in starting up this kind of a thread with regards to any aspect is most welcome to come forth too. let's say we'll start a new thread covering subsequent operations every week? sounds about right? let me know your thoughts.

2. Staley

Staley New Member

Ideas on building the Fiberglass boat

I started out on the net today to try and look for jobs in Georgia. I'm wanting to move and am having a really hard time trying to find any kind of fiberglass work. I currently work at Crownline Boats in southern Illinios, and have been there for 9 years. I have all kinds of exp. in the fiberglass part of the boat building. Anything that you need to know about it I am for certain that I will have an answer. If anybody can give me any kind of information on what or where to go please contact me at staleybobby@yahoo.com. Thanks!!!!!!!!