bronze bolt in rudder tube or grp ?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by janner, Apr 8, 2012.

1. janner

janner New Member

Please could someone give me advise on what is best suited to a 45ft grp motor boat. bronze bolt through rudder asemberly, or grp tube glassed to hull.
    I was told a bolt through rudder gland was what I needed, then I was told a glass in is the way to go with my boat. :?:
    also what is the standard hight of tube above the water line.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can engineer it either way. There is no right or wrong in this.

3. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Rudder tube is just to keep the water out so can be vertually anything !! But if it has the have a bearing each end then its a whole differant ball game !!specially if the top is close to or below water level then it needs a good seal !!!! and the top could need to be supported back onto the hull maybe ?? need more information !!
    Need a picture or two of what you have already inside and out !!:confused:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.