bracket issue

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by tonchido, Apr 26, 2015.

1. tonchido

tonchido Junior Member

Hello,i have a boat with bracket,the boat is riding with very low bow,and because of that i have a lot of sea coming in the cockpit making ride wet and unpleasent,bracket is bent downward and i wonder could that be reason of bow digging,but when i try to use trimm nothing happens

2. tonchido

tonchido Junior Member

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Ok, you mean the bottom of the bracket (pod) has a greater angle of attack, than the hull bottom ahead of it ? That would certainly push the bow down, is it not the original bracket ?

4. Mr Efficiency

And when you say applying the engine trim does not help, do we assume you mean out-trim, not the in-trim showing in the pictures ?

5. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Thats a hell of an angle. Maybe even to much for power trim to compensate for.

6. Mr Efficiency

Non-factory pod, perhaps ? One possible cure would be to lift it all 3 or 4 inches, then play with engine height, assuming it isn't already on the bottom hole.

7. tonchido

tonchido Junior Member

[​IMG]it is bracket made in factory where they produce the boat,but there was only few boats made,like 5,and there is no more factory,the boat is really well made,using vacum infusion,but here in croatia there are just few brackets and i wouldnt be surprised if they didnt know what they are doing,if they wanted bow down they would do strakes until the end of the boat but they finish at 3/4 of hull,so why bend bracket,i just need a litll bit of bow lift to avoid spray,and yes i mean trim away from boat to lift a bow but trimm is not making any changes in way boat rides

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  8. Mr Efficiency

You may have to raise the bracket, unless you can see a reason it can't be done ?

9. Mr Efficiency

Failing that, (raising it), another possibility is to insert a wedge between the bracket and the boat, so it is no longer "bent down" as you put it, but lines up more parallel to the boat bottom. But these aren't tasks easy for, e.g. the average week-end handyman

10. tonchido

tonchido Junior Member

i hope there is no reason to not do it,one obvious complication would be if there is a steel construction inside bracket,i hope its all made of fiberglass,so i plan on cutting it with a guy who is expert in fiberglass,i can do simple repair but this one is no joke since it concern a crucial part of boat,what would be best way to shape pod

11. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

If the angle of the pod is 14* degrees or less outward that should that should be OK unless the pod is below the bottom level of the boat.

12. tonchido

tonchido Junior Member

so you say it should be cut to create 14* degrees upward

13. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Most outboard engines are designed for a 14* tilt out off the horizontal.

14. Mr Efficiency

The greater angle of attack of that pod is acting like a trim tab, lifting the stern, seemingly. Without knowing the construction and attachment details of the pod, it is hard to say which way to go, but I can only see 3 options, raise it, wedge it, or cut it so it is a straight continuation of the bottom.

15. tonchido

tonchido Junior Member

today i did hear from previous owner and he told me he used a lot of quartz sand in a bow,to make boat bow heavy,when i asked why he couldnt tell,so i was driving 4 extra persons in bow without even knowing,factory told me they didnt made bracket but the owner told me the saame,boat is just 4 years old and nobody remembers,why would someone put so much sand in bow