bottom sandwitch construction

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mechatics, Aug 26, 2006.

1. mechatics

mechatics Junior Member

hi to all,
    i am amateur prpoject engineer currently working on 42' yacht, as i got lamination detail,there is a sandwitch foam in the bottom. before i done sandwitch on side of the hull only, as i have to follow the designer. can anyone tell me is it appropriate way to add sandwitch construction to the bottom of the hull and what should be the standard.
    any answer will be highly appreciated.
    thanks

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Sandwich construction in the hull bottom is not a domain for the amateur. To ensure that the bottom will not fail, as many cored bottoms do over time, requires skilled craftsmen and good vacuum bagging technique. Any voids of any sort in the bottom laminate are an open invitation for water to come in and destroy the core. Only an experienced craftsman who knows how to vacuum bag properly can ensure that a cored bottom will be sound; even many pro builders screw this up on a regular basis.

3. mechatics

mechatics Junior Member

ya matt you are right about that, we have here good vaccum bagging technique and it was my first experience but that was amazing with vaccum bagging. i fascinated with this technique and wanna use more in future. thanks for your valuable answer

4. Searay31

Searay31 Junior Member