Bedding Stringers

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by man5, Apr 13, 2006.

1. man5

man5 Junior Member

Hello, have decided to use epoxy for stringer replacement on the old Grady. Called one distributor and they told me to use poly instead;they said that was all I would need??? Talked to a boat repair place in town and he recommended poly also??? I wanted to use epoxy anyways because of the bad fortune Ive had with poly.:mad: in the few times I have used it. Anyways, the boat place in town said to also bed the stringers in Corbond? Called RAKA, (thats who I will probably deal with on the epoxy) and asked them about setting the stringers up off the hull and they said to fillet them in with thickened epoxy. When I first looked under the stringers Ithought they left a gutter under the stringers, but after i started grinding i found that the stringers were touching the hull in 1/2 of the run.??? How are they supposed to be? Thanks

2. man5

man5 Junior Member

Sorry for having another thread but after reading the other thread i see why they tell you to bed them. easier. I am going to go the foam route.

3. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

Set the stringers above the hull with a foam spacer. then use a fillet formed at a 45 degree angle from the stringer. Never fill the space under the stringer with any hard medium.