Bait tank/ holding tank fabrication question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by searaytuna, Nov 4, 2005.

1. searaytuna

searaytuna Junior Member

here is my edited mock-up drawing

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I think what cyclops is saying is that if a wave or several poop you, the tanks will get full of water. That would be 3,200 lbs.

3. searaytuna

searaytuna Junior Member

I was planning on putting lids on all containers with a draining valve on all bait tanks and the fish-hold as well. My main concern is if the transom of my boat can withstand approx. 40 gallons of water(20 on ea. side). and if that is a safe thing to do, and also how much of the trim would be affected with this added weight on the swimstep.:confused:

4. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Tie a few cinder blocks (to the needed weight) on the swimstep and take the boat out and run it! See what it does. Bring a knife to dump them if necessary. Full tanks wouldn't slosh so the weight shift will be the same as a solid. If you are really worried... progressively add the weight, one block on each side at a time.

Steve

5. searaytuna

searaytuna Junior Member

Well. I tested with 2x40Ga tanks filled with water last weekend and seems to hold the weight ok.

I have made some adjustments to my design, and now am thinking of removing the swimstep all together and fabricate the bait tanks & holding tanks from top of the transom down about 24" This way it will be much higher from the water line (even higher than the swim step) and the bottom of the unit will taper in a roughly 45degrees to minimize any crashing action of water. Additionally, it will be flush from the top of my transom.

The main concern with this is to somehow make a sturdy enough attachment. Any suggestions?

I have a buch of glass fabric and epoxy from a hardtop I had been builing--just finished it today!!!

JW

Attached Files:

6. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I like the -hang it over the vertical transom edge- idea. It will evenly distribute the downward tank loads and the vertical upward slaming loads in heavy seas. Remember, the upward slaming forces are many times more forcefull then then hanging weight. You get caught in a nasty squall sterns see some wild drop downs. I have been weightless more than once.