The AWLGRIP Knowledge challenge

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by grady, Dec 31, 2007.

1. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Grady,
    Alright, from now on. I command that you put all materials that you are going to spray in a bucket of warm water 100 degrees before you--even--think about using it.:p :cool:
    I bet you like working in 30 degree weather.....hahaha

2. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Guys, the high build is for people that are too lazy to fare and prep the surface correctly. My surfaces are fared and sanded to 240 before I roll and tip 545. I roll two coats of 545 before I sand. 545 is soft and sands easy with 325. You need to use the brushing Reducer, just treat the 545 the same as the top coat. Except it's a 1 to 1 mix with less (or none) reducer. You are much better off rolling the 545 even if you spray the top coat, because you can build a good heavy prime base quicker. Just remember that how you finish the 545 determines how your top coat will look. Buy stocks in 3M!

3. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

What is he doing??????????????????????

:) Kaptin-jer:
    What is that, are you sand-blasting something....and what is that big blue thing.......pressure washer?

4. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

What are you talking about??

5. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

its a grinder heh ;)

7. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

The software in this forum allows you to zoom in on the pictures. Try it. You'll answer your own questions. When you can make out the symbol on the hat you are close enough.

8. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

when i use that zoomy thingy,,,i have ta put post-a-notes on my moniter,,,it always seems like ya eyes are followin me kapt. ;)

9. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

...and you better belive it...I'm watchin' you.

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

well they do say when ya want to learn from the best,,ya need to watch em close hehe ;)

11. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Awlgrtip Paint:

Wow,
    Nice paint job. brush and tip? or spray.......
    Question: how are you supposed to paint with those stilts holding up the boat? Oh, by the way, I can't zoom.....:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

12. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

roll and tip

13. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Theoretically, You're not supposed to build with primer

Kaptin-jer,
    earlier you said that you roll two coats of 545 because it's softer and sands easy. Theoretically, it has been my understanding that one should not try to build a surface layer with a primer, simply because it is softer and more maleable than the structures surface i.e. boat hull itself. It is this softer quality that makes the primer inferior in impact resistance. Thus, if you crack the paint, and it is easier to do with a soft primer substrate, you get more cracking and peeling in the future.
    Additionally, I was under the impression that primer should, and this has been my practice, mostly sanded off, with it's only purpose to fill micro scratches, not imprefections. I recall your saying that some guys use 545 because they don't pay enough attention to fairing their boats, I'm not saying you are part of that group. I was just wondering if, upon reflection, you still endorse using two coats of any primer, and, if you do, how much do you leave.:) :)

14. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

2 coats are fine,,and primer is ALSO used to give a uniform shade and color to the boat before top coat. if you sand most of it off,,you'll use twice the top coat to get a uniform top coat color. in fact awl-grip says 2 or 3 coats are fine.

15. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

You didn't read what I said. I'll repeat myself. I said people that depend on Hi build primer Are not faring correctly. I roll 2 coats of 545 (no hi build) because I found that you sand most of it off to get a good finish and I start with 2 coats so that I don't burn through. The end result is a thin smooth prime coat. But thats what I do. You can paint any way you like.

I'm a little testy because the Panthers are losing, sorry

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.