The AWLGRIP Knowledge challenge

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by grady, Dec 31, 2007.

1. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO YA 2CND PARAGRAPH,,,then find a new reading teacher,,,and since MOST roll and tippers agree with the "wackos" and well i agree with anyone that is trying to do their part to make sure our earth is here for our great grandkids,,oh, them "wackos" are also saving it for YOUR grandkids too,,which makes em WAY nicer then me ;)
    and tolly,,,,if its jus for the winter,,and you plan to re prime before painting,,,,,anything that will stick will work ;)

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

and yet ANOTHER P.S.
    im the kind of person who thinks "boaters" are a bit different from the "norm",, and i HATE stupid people,and even though i SPRAY awl-grip,and probably 20 other "paints" that kill this world, i do it the SAFEST way i can, but then i drive a car,smoke cigs (not in my house or car with the kids),and i Pee round the corner on someones tire if i can,, but i also recycle, compost, garden ( i have a bada** flower garden) and teach my kids to be RESPONSIBLE! and i CHOOSE to spend my time with "boat" people,,and i REFUSE to waste my time with people other then ones that have "values" kinda close to mine,,i'm a VERY FIRM believer that "it takes a community to raise YOUR children"!and well, we ALL help in our OWN ways, and we ALL harm in our OWN ways,, but us that do CARE dont need to be ATTACKED and called "p*****s" in YOUR own words.,, so maybe I or you need to look around us, see the people we are "around" and do the "math" before we start holler'n "wacko" ;)

3. grady

grady Novice

Hey Much what's going on down there in lil' state of Texas, How's the weather holding up?

Any interesting projects under way?

I'll be down there in August. What kind of temps can I expect?

Smiles

4. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

I stand by my previous post. I did not attack anyone who rolls and tips, only those who defend the green wackos. Your last post let's me know you are one of those, hopefully only out of ignorance of their blatant dishonesty and foolishness

Florida has no air pollution problem. Never has, never will. But the green wackos had achieved their goal of getting Florida labeled a 'Non Attainment Zone" by forcing the EPA to make air quality assessments during a particularly severe wildfire season, which of course showed Florida to be 'polluted' and needing costly remediation similar to CA's SCAQMD regulations, auto emissions testing (in 3 counties initially) and other costly measure that have had ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT ON AIR QUALITY IN FLORIDA. Our air quality went back to excellent as soon as the '89 fire season ended. No matter, the dishonest green wackos got what they wanted; Florida labeled 'polluted'. This is the kind of thing that the green wackos do. They are not about saving anything, they are about getting into political power.

There are numerous examples of blatant scientific dishonesty practiced constantly by the green movement on virtually all issues on which they express an opinion, so I am not a fan.
    How about those 'rare' spotted owls (simply a variety of common owl, plentiful from Mexico to northern Canada) Or the 'rare' Caribbean Manatee, spotted in more numbers than ever seen before three years after the green wackos sued the state to virtually WIPE OUT boating in FL's inland waters!

In the 80's I was a member of Greenpeace, but that was before I saw what these people are really about. It was my involvement with that group that turned me against the environmentalists. Many people reading this will still never question their motives, thinking they really do want to 'save the earth'. You need to wake up to reality!

5. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

Hey Grady
    hehe its been like the artic for 2 days,, down in the 20's at night,50's in the day ;) the weather( other then the constant wind) is the only thing i like about texas! i loved maine winters till my accident,,now i HATE the cold. and in aug. think of how it feels to us (yankees) in july at 85 degrees and 100% humidity. its like that here 24 hours a day from may till october.except its like DRY heat, so its not really that bad, and these guys cry bout 10% humidity. its funny,, we go from A/C on 24 hours a day in the summer, then A/C during the day and heat at night,for 2 months in the fall, then heat all the time, then 2 months back to A/C and heat, and so on. we get like 2 weeks a year that we can open the windows and not run something hehe. its GREAT to visit here lol
    my only projects now are shifting to doing something other then boats. these rinky-dink "make believe" "pretty sparkly" boats down here make me cry ;) im trying to start rebuilding alternators and starters,, and i still have a partnership with another guy, we rent 3 phase seperators to the oilfield companies. ( talk bout simple people hehe ya should see these oilfield workers ha) so when ya come down bring me a project boat ( real one please, over 12ft.)
    oh and jimbo,,,do the math on the boat population in florida,,,,there's like how many boats per acre of water?,,,now how many of them boats are "go fasts" and jet-ski's ? and "people" that go 50 knots down the river spilling enough oil and gas in the water to run most third world countries, and throw their trash in the water,,,are NOT "boat people" they're people that are so SIMPLE not only CANT they admit what their doing is bad or wrong, they dont EVEN THINK they're wrong.and ya know what,,i'd like my daughters to see the spotted owl,,,no matter if it cost me or you a little bit of OUR comfort. you also know what,,ya sound like all those people who said the same thing about blue whales, bald eagles,elephants,tigers,rino's,independents,slavery.,,,,hmmm,,you dont have the same values as me do ya,,well thats o.k.
    even i need someone around to make me look smart ;)
    and P.S greenpeace if fer woosies,,,so isnt peta,,but as you proved ONCE more,,,theres "bad apples" in EVERY walk of life,,,,wanna re-do ya math again?
    ans P.S,,umm T
    heh,,,,i also used to work in a genetics lab where we did scientific research on poor little lab mice,,,,and yet i want the spotted owl saved,,,,,hmmmm,,,,confusing isnt ;)

6. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

I leave you guys alone for two days and all hell breaks out. I'm in Jersy visiying my grand kids and happened to check the forum. This is not fare to Grady who just wanted help with Awlgrip. WE need to start an imprortant new thread About our concerns with the EPA, and let Grady have is thread back. In fact I think I'll do that

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ooooo..THREAD,,,i thought ya said panties :(
    Grady,,,,ignore and refuse the package i sent ya ;)

8. grady

grady Novice

Thank You Jerry

Speaking of awlgrip.............

Who has first hand experience spraying both awlgrip and their acrylic version awlcraft2000.

Are there any differences in application techniques, I know there are differences in properties inherent to the formulas. But was wondering if rules that may apply to one, may have no effect on the other.

And do any other manufacturers make an acrylic product?

How well do these products hold up under the same conditions?

9. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

I sprayed my first job with Awl-Grip II, Awl Craft, Awl-Craft 2000 (it has had several names over the years :D ) in 1994. Just saw the job again in 2006 and unbelievably it still looks good! Who'd a thunk it??? Ironically, shortly after we finished that job, US Paint recalled that batch. Their rep showed up and said that they were prepared to strip and re-paint the whole job for free! We offered to the customer and he declined; said he was happy with it. The reason for the recall? US Paint said there were 'field reports' of the paint aging prematurely. Imagine that!:D

On handling the acrylic version handles quite a bit differently than the polyester. For one thing there is a much shorter wet edge. It also dries and cures quicker. Generally you spray heavier coats of the acrylic and it resists runs when applied this way. We did not shoot a 'tack' coat of the acrylic, but rather a medium coat with good gloss followed by a heavy coat. It shoots a bit more like car paint and is best used on smaller items like trim, stripes and graphics, though I have never tried to slow it down with slow reducer or retarder to see if it will work more like regualr Awl-Grip with bigger jobs. It might work great that way; I don't know.

I do know it buffs like butter, even after full cure. This is different from the polyester version, which buffs OK for the first few days but gets very hard after a couple of weeks. I've found the 3M Perfect-It 3000 Extra Cut works great for hardened Awl-Grip, though the 3M rep tells me they are going to discontinue it for 'environmental' reasons :p

Jimbo

To Jim, aka, the1much,

We pro'ly should quit hijacking this thread with our little tiff. Let's either take it private or jump to one of the environment threads where at least we will be on topic. What'dya say?

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

awlcraft suks! and they say you cant roll and tip with it,,i think it doesnt flow,look,or stand up as good as regular awl-grip. i tried an acrylic once,,it looked o.k,,,,but not worth the money it cost,,,jus an o.k job. i cant remember what it was tho,,,sorry
    and jimbo,,,,your not gettin grady's panties,,finders keepers ;)

11. grady

grady Novice

Unfortunately (for me) I was steered away from awlgrip's regular paint, both from the manufacturers rep and the few pro's I spoke with.

The main reason was the more forgiving nature of awlcraft 2000, less prone to runs and sags, as well as the repair-ability of the product. Which might allow me to buff out imperfections and also re-shoot small boo boos down the the road.

I really wanted the hardness and durability of the awlgrip but with such strong pushing toward awlcraft I figured I would go with flow.

So far I have enjoyed spraying it, I would just like to understand to product and the way it behaves a little more, which would give me greater confidence while handling the paint and associated equipment.

The boat is 24 feet in length and has enough breaks in the shooting sequence to not need a really long wet edge.

12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

people worry TOO much about their ability,, i used to,,but now i really dont care hehe,,,and thats because i've learnt over the years,,them dam runs,and faded spots,and that dust,, or that 2 or 3 fisheye's (less its everywhere,then ouch),, but ALL them things , are almost EASIER to fix,its less work ,then it is to avoid them mistakes,,haha. even scratch's aint nothing,,some tape,some paint, a sanding block,320 paper,( and dont do the "natural" thing and make a small tape line with ya paint,,a THICK UNROUND tape edge is WAY easier to sand out)some 1500 ta 4000 wet paper,, fine buffing compound,,and a couple hours of work fixes most.

13. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

OMYGOD!! Much is sanding and buffring Awlgrip!!! I'm gona tell---

Actually Much is right. Contrary to what Awlgrip says if you sand and buff a few hours after applying you can get away with it, because the paint hasn't cured out yet and the surface will reform to create that chemical bond that they are so proud of.

14. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ooo,,,did i say I did that?,,,,what i meant was I SAW it done before ;)

15. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

I used to think Awl Grip was not buffable. But back then, 3M 'UltraFine' was the finest sandpaper you could get, which was only about 800 grit, and 'Imperial Microfinishing Compound' was the only compound that could buff 800 grit scratches out of cured AwlGrip. 'MicroFine' came out which was 1000 and that made it a little better, but you still could never get back to that 'as sprayed' gloss. Finally when you could get P1200 in the early 90's and 3M came out with various white buffing compounds like 'Finesse-It', you could get that high gloss back. Now with the latest compounds, I can remove P1500 buffing BY HAND! We have come a long way!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.