The AWLGRIP Knowledge challenge

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by grady, Dec 31, 2007.

1. RIVERKING

RIVERKING Junior Member

Buy a Transtar knock off of a Sata 95.....fluid tip 1.3 good for everything.Then throw it away when done. Price is about $129.00

2. RIVERKING

RIVERKING Junior Member

Why Mr Grady do you still think your 24 offshore should look like the hoods of the finest automobiles built on the planet? That is an unfreakin'believable undertaking. And in my opinion practically unattainable with awfulgrip.

3. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Riverking,
    I have to strongly refute your statement. Go back to to my post #56 and open the first thumbnail. (and that is not sprayed.) The guy that has a slip 2 up from mine painted his 1957 thunderbird with Awl-grip and it looks great. I think you better get alittle more experience with awl-grip before you make those statements. Grady can, and probably will, spray a mirror finish on his boat as bright as any Mercedes in a showroom. I have seen it time after time. If you have not, then you need a little more practice, you'll get there.

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

hahahaha,,trust me kapt. no sense in wastin ya time,, he's one of them dudes that paint a boat with auto paint and says its as good or better ( and we all know its easier hehe) ;)

5. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

You need to take a ride to an airport, especially one where high-end business jets are stored and serviced. Ask for a tour of the hangar. Then look and see what can be done with Awl-Grip. You will see paint that looks as if it were sanded and buffed out so it is as smooth and glossy like a quiet pond in the morning. Awl-Grip is the most common paint used in the aircraft paint business.

A good boat/yacht paint job is no different if the painters know what they are doing.

Jimbo

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

no,no,no,,,ask them CAR painters,,,,a paint job isnt done till you HAVE to "color"<actually wet,,,but they wanna make it sound cool,,sand,,,ya should see these "AUTO" guys when ya say,,"i aint EVER had to "wet" sand a boat after i spray it",,,,,they think its impossible,,,hahahhahahahha

7. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

Jim,

Most auto painters are baffled by Awl-Grip, Jet-Glo, Sterling and the like. These paints are very different when it comes to application compared to auto paints. The typical auto painter will wind up with runs or severe orange peel (or even both) when they try to use a polyester urethane for the first time. This is because they try to paint as if it were Chroma Base/Clear, PPG Concept, Imron or whatever. It's really all about the size of the project. Awl-Grip is designed for painting big things like boats. The auto paints are designed for painting small things like cars. To a car painter, a van is 'big'. Really, even the smallest airplane or a modest sized boat has the area of four vans, so a van is a very small project to a plane or boat painter.

Actually, Awl-Grip is one of the easiest and most forgiving paints you can spray. But you can't spray it as if it were car paint.

Jimbo

8. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

hey kapt.,,,,i was jus studie'n dem dere pics of ores,,and imma thinking for free i thinkie i can addie on to that there skiff,and fitsy ya's 3 175hp yamaha outmotor thingy's
    ;)

9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

and P.S.
    Jimbo,
    He (riverdude) knows ALL about awl-grip. He just puts it down every chance he gets cause he aint talented,,i mean he thinks its too hard to spray ;)
    and lets not forget ya can get auto paint fer 50 bucks a gallon , and it looks JUST as good as awl-grip hehe :D

10. RIVERKING

RIVERKING Junior Member

What would it be worth for all the knowledge to spray a boat with awlful grip?Or an aircraft? 100/200/300 dollars per hour.How about the buildings they should be sprayed in? All those deadly contaminants to be spewed into the surrounding atmosphere? I never ever would want to or have the patience to wait and watch paint dry.

11. RIVERKING

RIVERKING Junior Member

hey 1 much when was the last time you price a pint of garnet red pearl for a chevy Impala? List price is over 121 dollars and still needs to be clearcoated.So 50 bucks for a gallon of paint is pie in the sky.

12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

um,,,,,i paint cars too,,,and you need the EXACT same filtering system,,and precautions for auto as you do for boats ;)
    see i can get "rises" too ;)
    and river, when was the last time ya got a price for off-white awl-grip,,,,,,i see your pint is worth like 5 times as awl-grip
    and your prices for the "per hour" is a "i wish" price,, by the end of a paint job,,and when ya equal out the size of a car and boat,,auto-body dudes are like 3 times the cost ;) for what everyone says is a cheap way of painting seems uneconomical for something that will only hold its "looks" for bout 6 months and wont give any protection.
    so it seems to "baffle" me how its "smarter" to use auto paint instead??/you do damage to the "earth" PLUS your basically paying for,,um,,,nothing,,,,other then future problems and rising costs of ,,,um,,,,thiefs basically,,,,,because most of em know what the future of the paint job itself is gonna be,,,,oh ya,,,thats called "job security"
    heh ;)

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i gots anotha P.S. hehe
    um jimbo,,it really dont hurt me when ya leave a bad rep fer me,,but at least put a good reason,,,not " i dont know why he attacked me,,and he's so hotheaded",,,,,geesh,,,maybe you should get someone to read the posts for you again,,maybe ya reading em wrong,,,,,i was fer sure that you attacked roll and tippers,,,then any *#@#* that was on there side,,,,,then i told you what i thought about "simple" people that thought that way.
    i dont "attack" anyone,,,in fact i thought you and me agreed on alot,,well till,,,you know,,,heh...,, the only person i attack is river,,and thats jus cause i,m jealous of all the money he makes and i think i want to be his stalker ;)

14. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

I never attacked roll and tippers. I was pissed off at the enviro wackos with Dade County that stopped my spray job and made me roll and tip, which is like WAY slow compared to spray. So apparently the reason you attacked me is that YOU misread MY post. I don't think I need to go back and re-read any posts; I understood them all OK.:rolleyes:

Back on topic, we actually tried auto paints for about a year back in the early 90's when Awl-Grip had a major price increase to about $65 for a gallon of base which we thought was outrageous :D We tried Nason Ful-Thane, R-M, Amer-Flint, Glassurit and several others. The thing is, it turned out that Awl-Grip was really CHEAPER to use than auto paints, with one exception which was Durathane from PPG. But Durathane was not really a auto paint . It was a polyester urethane like Awl Grip with 1:1 catalyst. Handling was superior in about every way to Awl-Grip. And it used the same hardener as their acrylic urethane. Too bad the line was discontinued or I'd probably still be using it :(

The rest of the auto paints are all very thinned out when you buy them; very low solids. Awl-Grip is so thick a paint stick will stand up in a gallon of base. So while Awl-Grip SEEMS expensive, it is actually a lot of paint for the money. Not the BEST for the money anymore, but still very good, much better dollars/Sq foot than any of the auto paints. And dead reliable compared to auto paints.

15. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Hey,
    I guess this is a minor thread hijack but since I got the painters on the line. I just finsihed a little glass project on my painted fiberglass boat. I'm not sure what paint is on it. But I'd like to put some white primer on it and then putty/glaze the minor imperfections. White on white primer will do until I paint the boat in the spring. Any suggestions for a "hardware store" primer that will work for camo over the winter? Or am I just causing myself more trouble?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.