The AWLGRIP Knowledge challenge

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by grady, Dec 31, 2007.

1. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

go fer the binks :) and im not sure bout the pressure ? ,,i get the same pressure at tip no matter what,,,heh i think,,,,but just thinking bout it,, it would seem that if you got say 50lbs to ya gun,and its going through a 1.7mm tip,,,,wouldnt you get a higher pressure at tip point with a 1.4 ,,,,kinda like water going through a 3 inch pipe,,,then to a 2 inch then a 1 inch,,wouldnt the pressure be greater at the end of the 1 then the 2 or 3?,,,,,,but then again im kinda "fumy" ;)

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

another thing with the binks is that parts and nozzles seem to be more readily available at most auto parts or auto paint suppliers

3. grady

grady Novice

Yeah I'm not sure but the info just recieved stated just the opposite said that a 1.2 mm tip would only let me reach 30-50 psi but the 1.4 mm would go from 50-80 psi?????????????????????????

I'm soo confused.

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

me too,,,,i aint never really thought about it before,,i worry bout my compressor pressure,,my pot pressure, then adjust my air and fluid at my gun for each application,, of course i have to re-adjust every time because im kinda anal bout my guns being completely clean on the inside,,( dont look at the outside,,,ewwwwwy ;) )
    now thinking bout it that way,,,,you do get more air pressure from an inch air hose then a 3/8 or so,,,i guess,,,,,i dont know,,,not sure i want to heh ;)

5. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

I found a great 2" brush for $30.00, I know it's a little extravagant, but it's worth it. The contractors pack of rollers is still $11.00. Sorry guys----but I just can't help myself :p

6. grady

grady Novice

Perfecting a Craft

Hey Jerr, I know that in your mind, you think that's funny. But at least for me it falls a little short.

Being new to the boat refinishing game (although I've been breathing new life into old boats mechanically for decades) I had my choice.

The reason I choose to spray, was because to me it was not only the true way these finishes were meant to be applied, but it also presented the largest challenge. It was a skill set I may be able to pass on. Not to mention the pride I'd possess after perfecting a craft that some find daunting.

So I know you think were all silly.

But in reality, it's you that dodged the challenge and took the easy road. And I'm sure you have your reasons. And do you know? Were all ok with that Jerry.

You seem like a nice guy, I know you and Jim go back and forth, but show us some Mercy. Will Ya.

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

wow,,,,and i thought i sprayed cause it was easy,,and WAY more easy then roll and tipping heh ;) all prep'n is the same for both ways,,,so we all need that talent and knowledge,,but to me,,spraying doesnt have the personal, or the "crafters" touch....the boaat has the knowledge of the sprayer,,the ability to adjust knobs,(and knowledge of what and how to turn) and its (sprayers) ability to keep his gun so far away,and at a good pace,and know when is when.,,but the "touch" comes from the guns nozzle.
    on the other hand,, them "slow painters" do nothing but "touch" the boat,,like dam artists.i know in my simple mind, that i couldnt make a house paint job look like a person did it ,,not a paintball gun heh ;)
    and to make awl-grip put on by some "okie" with a freakin roller and brush, and have it look as good as mine!!!!! they got all my respect!
    but i still think they dam SLOW!:p

8. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

I was once 'forced' to complete a stripe job by roll and tip when the green wackos* showed up and said we could not spray so we tipped and rolled instead. A one hour spray job wound up taking about 8 hours. WOW is that method slow compared to spray! Looked OK though. Not great, but OK.

*Before any of you p*****s that like the green wackos pipes up to defend them let me say that I possessed the necessary permits to spray but the permits specified my ES gun to meet 'BACT' permitting criteria. The stripe was only about 6" wide by 100' long so I was using a little tiny detail gun which makes WAY less overspray (pollution) than any ES gun. No Matter. We chose to tip and roll rather than drive all the way back home for the ES gun which we did not bring to the job site. No need(we thought).

9. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

Jim,

Binks and Devilbiss parts should be equally available since they are now both owned by the same company, ITW, and have the same distributor networks.

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

what ta hell does roll and tipping have anything to do with being a green wacko?
    how bout you pay for everyones "permit" and their shop,,and their equiptment,,,ohhh,,,,you do this for a living kimbo?? most people dont,,,,but if you got the extra cash to buy all that stuff for each person doing their own boat,,and member most do this ONCE,,,,so im thinking your the freaking PUS**
    cant wait for you ta ask a question,,,,bet you'll get ALL kinds of help
    but i can just imagine that as SMART as you sound,,you prob know everything anywayz,, "!" <flip it

11. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Wow- I finally got a rise out of someone! That was fun.

Both methods have their own skill level, both have their pros and cons, I have to say that a good roll and tip paint job is equal to if not better than a spray job. I have posted many pictures on this site of my amateur work. I roll and tip because where I am located if I spray I have to build a full tent with a roof, and that's a major expense of time and money for my current boat, a 38' sailboat, so I taught myself this process The 1much and I have talked other roll and tippers threw the process and they have also posted their pictures.
    If you have the equipment (all, including the respirator) and the facility to spray then by all means go for it. If you don't then roll and tip is the viable solution. The gloss is the same, but the final result is thicker more durable finish, because you are applying heavier coats then spraying
    I do not understand why every one thinks roll and tip is slow. After sanding it takes me about 1 1/4 hours to go around a 38' sailboat, and that's with moving scaffolds from one side to the other. (I only have enough scaffold for one side). You have to work fast to keep a wet edge. If I had help, one person rolling, it would take about 45 min.

I'll throw a kicker at you. The pro that runs the paint facility at my marina ONLY uses a brush. Not even a roller. He use to work for Awl Grip doing Demos, all his professional jobs are brushed. He is the only person I have ever seen that can get a perfect finish only using a brush. I tried but I can't control the amount of paint going on the surface.

I posted pictures of a 26' sailboat and the deck of the Benny that I just finished, both roll and tipped. I'm doing the hull now, final (4th) coat this weekend.

Grady, Loosen up guy, Boating is fun!!

Attached Files:

12. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

the1much :

My reasons for my hostility toward the 'green wackos' are documented in my post above. Their beaurocratic meddling produced no tangible result except to delay my job and cost me money.

OTOH I have no idea why you have taken a hostile attitude toward me in your last post in response to that post:confused: I have come to the conclusion that you may in fact be a ***** and I will treat all you comments accordingly in the future.

Jimbo

13. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Time to take a step back and get a little focused. The EPA has made the jobs of the professional painters tough, but let's not take it out on each other. It's a loosing battle to take on the Green People so we have to join them to keep them off our backs. The pros will have to invest in tents or buildings with all the exhaust systems and fire suppression systems and they will have to charge more to there clients. The DIY will need to find alternate methods like roll and tip, or build their own tents if the project is small enough, But guys lets not let our frustrations build and take it out on each other. People will start to think we haven't been wearing our masks

1 person likes this.
  14. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

KIMBO
    no...a ***** would be someone that posts something that has nothing to do with this thread,,,,,the thread would be "AWL-GRIP KNOWLEDGE" not how to freakin spray it,,and from your previous posts,,WE ALL see who the ***** is *@#*stain
    when ya wanna learn bout spraying awl-grip,,,give me a call,,i'd be glad to show you how "professionals" do it ;)

15. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

kk guys,,,,,i APOLOGIZE for my comments ta jimbo,,,,i read his ca-ca before my meds this morning,,(reverted to my old ways) and didnt think to myself about how "boaters" and "boat people" (i dont own one hehe) REAL ones,,,wouldnt be that ,,,ummmm,,,,simple :(
    SORRY to you both Grady and Kapt. and anyone else that reads this,,,,well cept.,,,,,heh ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.