The AWLGRIP Knowledge challenge

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by grady, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Remember, any fool can paint really, it is all in the preparation that the results show.

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

AMEN!!,,, i try preaching that ALL the time,,,,,,and Thanks Landy ;)
    means alot coming from another painter ;)

3. grady

grady Novice

Let there be Gloss

Hey Much, thought I'd get you a update. Just stepped out of the spray booth.
    And actually have a bit of luck (good luck this time). Good gloss, no runs or sags (that I can find yet). Been about 2 hours.

I posted new pics in my gallery, just search for keyword "awlgrip"

How long till it stops flowing? 2-3 hrs or 2-3 days

Anyway NICE, I'm pumped.

the new gun is a dream

Thanks this couldn't have happen with out you and all the great talents of this forum

Thanks everyone.

1 person likes this.
  4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

hey man,,,Thanks for the update ( we all know most dont give us any) it looks GREAT!!!!!! ,,,and ya know how i feel bout helpin ya dude ;)
    it will stop flowing in a couple weeks,,,but if after 24 hours you dont have any runs,,,,you wont :D ,,,isnt it freakin AWSOME when the paint gods work with ya ;)

5. grady

grady Novice

The Gods are indeed smiling

Yes, it's nice to have things go as planed for once. Well it's been about 24 hrs
    no boo boo's (sags or runs). This was a tough shoot too. My confidence just took a big step in the positive direction.

The hardest thing for me to do, is to not pick it apart and go looking for trouble. BUT I'M TRYING!!! (being a perfectionist certainly has it's down side)

Onward and forward, I'm preping the cabin and helm for color next, maybe tonite, maybe tomorrow.

6. grady

grady Novice

Has anyone painted small aluminum parts (hardtop) without going through to acid wash /aladine process. There seems to be a few Ideas on how that should work.

My application is a 4'x5' alum hardtop, about 18 yrs old. It has paint on it already, but has small blistering around holes and mounts. it also has had the paint rubbed of by an antenna (approx size 1"x10"). Is there a way to get a descent job on this piece without spending the $250.00 on the chromatic wash etc. etc.etc. None of the suppliers carry these products in the quart size and are unwilling to order it because they have to order 4 qts and the other three would sit there forever cause no one uses them in small quantities.

I don't need a gallon of these products, I'm not even sure which products to use? The top has held it's paint fairly well and I'm only going to spot repair about 2 percent of the total surface. Need a less exspensive solution.

Also while I'm bitchen about cost, what's up with alwgrip's pricing on reds.
    I was going to grab a qt to paint my bootstripe. But not at almost $100.00 a qt. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

red auto paint is more $ too ..,,its because everyone use to want red,,,now,,its more power boats want the "fast" red,,,and sails want the red for boot stripes,,,,,sooo,,,,they give it to ya in the,,,,,,,,and there is a procedure for painting awl grip,,,,but you really dont want to know it!! trust me,,,i tell everyone i have never heard of painting alum.,,,,it includes bad words like sanding with 36 grit,,,,ultra high build,,high build,,,then paint.,,,,i could find their "write up" on it if ya want, because i have never heard of painting alum.,,hehe :D;)

8. grady

grady Novice

No Much, I have their application guide. There are at least 3 different systems covering 10 different applications (do this if you have that, but never do that when have this only if you can buy this when that is in season).

VERY STRAIGHT FORWARD!!

Anyway I'm inclined to just clean er up and 545 it. see what happens. I have developed fairly disiplined prep habits. 98 percent of it has a tight bond with it's current paint. I just want to freshen it up and make it the same color as the rest of the boat.

9. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Grady,
    I painted an alum. mast with Awl Grip without the acid wash. You need to be sure there is no anodizing left on, it you can do that with sand paper, then you have to make sure there is no grease (fingerprints). I used MEK. Apply the Primer immediately after the sanding / wash down, because alum will start to oxidize in minutes. It worked for me.

1 person likes this.
  10. grady

grady Novice

Nice, Thanks kap, I figured there has to be a way. I'll just be careful and quick.

Hey while I have you. What paint do you use to paint your boot stripe? Those folks at awlgrip have been slealing Jim's meds cause no boot is worth $200.00 . I found a half pint of interlux one part polyurathane. For $13.00 that seems a little more reasonable. You think that will give me any trouble sticken to the awlgrip?

1 person likes this.
  11. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

On the Benny I used the left over white for my boot stripe then added a gold stripe that I bought on ebay to go between the Flag Blue and the white . I used Interlux over white on the Chrysler. Worked fine.

Attached Files:

12. grady

grady Novice

Plastics

Doe's anyone have any experience with awlgrip any plastics? I have a couple of parts that I would to match. I figured I would just follow the same schedule as I did on the hull. fiberglass is just plastic anyway. I think one part is made from PVC the other I'm not sure.

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

sorry man,,,,thats 1 thing i have never tried,,hmmmmm.

EDIT: ,,,,are the pieces already painted,,or just plain plastic,,,,i know for car paint they got a "adhesive" to spray on first,,,,,,,hmmmmmmm

14. grady

grady Novice

Re Plastic

No just plain plastic, one item is a set of three engine box mounted rod holders, the other a set of two venturi vent. (fresh air and exhaust for motor)

15. afrhydro

afrhydro Senior Member

if you prime it with alwgrips primer it will stick to air even
    lol
    way back we even painted hardware with it
    plus i have shot it on trim molding in houses /stair cases
    you name just about i have shot it on there at some point
    the key is the epoxy primer
    i like the 545
    but the high build and all work great as well

way back in the day
    sterling and alwgrip were partners and it was called aluma grip[ and was used and aircraft
    then they split up and we had two companies to order from
    if sterling is still around its the same formula as the original 50/50 mix grip
    like i said the key is the prep
    oh also i painted my sprinter fuel tank with it a high impact plastic as well 545 then awl craft

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.