The AWLGRIP Knowledge challenge

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by grady, Dec 31, 2007.

1. afrhydro

afrhydro Senior Member

if it looks like this you done it right

Attached Files:

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

well,,,cept fer dat small spot on the black,,,hehe ;)

3. grady

grady Novice

Let's be CLEAR

Much, what's going on down there in hell's waiting room? Been hotter-n-hell up here too.

Were almost all re primed, and should be applying topcoat on Saturday, wanted to clarify (pun intended) a few things.

As you know, I have purchased some clear to use on OYSTER WHITE, you had mentioned that I should add some clear to a little left over color(will probably just mix a little fresh). but those measurements where vague, and you also mentioned that these clear coats (maybe two) would be made directly following my third coat of color (my wet/gloss coat). Hope that's accurate so far. Now Let's say I wait my normal 45 Min's and add two coats ( with flash off time between ) should these coats be as progressive as the start of a color shoot, by that I mean should the first coat of clear be a little on the dry side or just another full wet coat followed by another full wet coat.
    In case your not paying attention:) that 5 coats. (WOW).

Also Just to remind you, In case it makes a difference I'm using Awlcraft 2000
    on the recommendation of the awlgrip rep. So let's take that into account.

I know you don't like it much and haven't use it a whole lot but it's what I have and I'm stuck with it. comeback, 10-4 good buddy

4. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Do not use clear over white. It will yellow.

1 person likes this.
  5. grady

grady Novice

Yeah that's what awlgrip said, but James said he mixed his with a little color and had outstanding results.

6. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

that's called a "Candy", Grady

7. grady

grady Novice

Well I guess, Whatever you call it if it will enhance my shine than it's worth a look don't ya think?

8. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

You can make a big mess, if you don't have a SATA quality gun and a great arm attached to it; it shouldn't change the shine at all. A couple of--maybe 10 boats from now--start shooting shading and pearls and Candies. Only, after you practice on alot of old cars. And, Finally, clears tend to tint white yellow if they are not water clear, which most are not.

1 person likes this.
  9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

wut ta hell did i tell you bout listening to them idiots at awl grip!!,,hehe :p ,,that awlcrap 20000000 suks,,,i refuse to use it,,hehe,,sorry man,,,,,my first color/clear is bout 1/3 to 1/2 color,,and rest clear,,(sorry bout the numbers man,,,i have never actually measured it),,and that first MIX coat goes on like your first coat of color,,,,try to use most of ya cup,,,,then the next coat is like (using a a 2 gallon pot,,,,,,but size of pot dont matter,,this goes for even a quart cup) i usually keep 2 or 3' of left over,,,,,or new (batch) of color then shoot that,as a full coat,,,then a light coat of straight clear,,,but very LIGHT,,if ya get it too thick, it will start to yellow ya paint,,,sometimes i only get to the second coat,,,and decide to stop,,,,after each coat,,,,go outside,,,look at the sun,,<no dont,,,,,but mess with ya eyes so that when ya walk back in ya got a FRESH look at the paint,,,,you'll be able to tell when you've done enough,,hehe ;) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,did i get it all?,,,,damned "meds" hehe ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. grady

grady Novice

Yeah, yeah yeah. Unfortunately (for me) I had already committed to the "stuff" when we first started talking. You would not believe the neigh sayers, the horror stories, the promises for disaster. And with the my confidence having taken a pounding after the body shop fiasco. I needed to know that this first endevor would be a success.

Anyway it should be ok, (I hope).

Now back on topic, Plain and simple, is it worth the effort?

One of the shops that gave me an estimate, (and showed me some of his work) says he uses clears on some of his lighter colors.

Much, what would say is the percentage of light colored jobs you would consider using clear?

11. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i used it on bout 60%,,,,some i only did the "first" coat,,,some went a step further,,,,if i was you,,,,i'd try it on a piece of whatever first,,,,paint ya "test" sample right along with your boat,,,do the sample first,,so it has a longer time to flash,,but,,,,,it doesnt really help your "shine",,,thats a BIG misconception,,it actually just "glares",,and that makes people think its "shiny",,,its actually used for extra protection,,,without "dulling" your color,,so if ya get a scratch,,,,as long as not deep,,,you dont see it as well because it didnt take color away showing your primer,,,,but it does yellow ,,,even doing it "my" way,,,just not as bad as straight clear,,,,the people i do it for knows this up front,,but they pick protection over "yellow" jus cause on them biggies, it costs so much to repaint.,,,,
    if your doing it for shine,,,,,dont,,,if you want a little extra protection,,,jus do the "first" coat.,,,,if i was you,,,and in your position,,,,,i wouldnt do it,,,you already know fixin a scratch aint that hard,,,,i know ive told ya that,,,,and ya got the equipment,,,,i bet in 5 years you'll be ready to paint her again anyways.

12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

that 60% is that high because of the boats too,,,,them ******* rich people thinks it saves em money,,,,and that might actually be lower because of the ones i jus flat out refuse to do,,,,its not just the "light" colors either,,,it messes with darks too,,its more the "shades" of the darkers,,,,and the lighters,,,like yellow,,,,dark yellow go to step 3,,,light yellows,,,,,dont do,,,,like i said man,,,,do that practice piece if ya decide to do it,,,,,,i really wouldnt if it was mine unless i had dark graphics,,,,

13. grady

grady Novice

Thank You, Those are the words I've been waiting to hear.

I'll skip the clear, but do a test piece anyway just to see how it comes out. then leave it out in the sun and compare the the colors after haul outs for a couple of years.

Great glad we got that CLEARED up

Thanks Again

14. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

Your Welcome man,,,,,as alwayz hehe ;)

15. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

the1much, might write funny, but he knows his stuff. Everything written here is quite OK, it is obviously from experience.

It would pay some of the soothsayers to re read what he has written....a lot of wisdom believe it or not. I spent many years painting custom cars, bikes and boats, it is all the same .....do it once and do it right.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.