The AWLGRIP Knowledge challenge

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by grady, Dec 31, 2007.

1. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

You guys are the best...............................

:) :p Ah what the F__*#$ let's just get drunk.................in Atlantic City. We know what we are doing...............

2. afrhydro

afrhydro Senior Member

3. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Getting to the nitty gritty..............

RIGHT.............................Needle and tip.............

4. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Fun in Atlantic City

Maybe...........................

5. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Wd-40 or paint stripper.....

Ah...shoot Kap. You are already there...............
    Put some WD-40 on that Go__(@#$ Dam___*#% transmissin and kick it loose..........

6. TripleCrownNC

TripleCrownNC Junior Member

Kapt, I have posted in the boat building section, fiberglass and composite section aboout some troubles I am having with awlgrip, can you take a look, we can keep posting here if you like, Thanks

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

he's ANOTHA snailer,,,so i told him to look ya up here,,,he has no idea what he's gettin into asking me hehe ;)

8. TripleCrownNC

Jim, actually, I think I have a good idea. Go look at the other post for this evenings data.

1 person likes this.
  9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

already did,,,i havent had "meds" yet so im a little faster den usual hehe ;)

10. TripleCrownNC

check again!

11. grady

grady Novice

Calling The Much!!

Hey Much dude, Just for BTW sakes. If you break through the primer into either the old gel or the high build primer ( small spots ) is it a nessesity to reprime? same question but you see a small ding after sanding you want to touch it up do ya reprime? And talk about spot priming. HEH heh that should keep ya typing for a while.

12. grady

grady Novice

Fyi

I have too many break throughs, so i'll be priming the whole shoot over, no big deal, this primer sat all winter long so I'll feel better with fresh primer on it

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn,,hehe ,,on primer,,,i would re-prime that spot,,,,ch!t ya can even tape off the "spot" then brush the primer on,,then fair it in,,,and dings,,,,i would take ya kids paint brush,,,,,no not really,,hehe,,but i'd take a 1" chip and "dob" the primer in the spots and then fair,,,,but this is for "small" areas,,if it alot of em,,it would be cheaper and faster AND better looking to just re-prime.,,,and its not "necessary" to reprime UNLESS its a white red blue green yellow avocado color under the primer ,, with those colors,,hehe(ALL COLORS) you'll see that spot as lighter or darker,,for many,,many,,many coats,,,and sometimes ALWAYS will see it.,,primer does alot of things for your "job",,but the 1 thats never thought of till after your 7th coat,,is COVERAGE,,even coverage,,,consistent color,,,,,,but if its like a little spot that only you will see,,,dont worry bout it,,just make sure you "feather" in the spot before its too late.,,,,nother thing bout primer,,,,you can "glob" it on,,,,,,what matters is your sanding job after,,,,THATS cause its still (if sanded right) gonna be the same thickness as it would of been if there was no problem in the first place.

,,,as usual grady,,,,edit me and let me know if i fangled-jangled everything,,hehe ;)

14. grady

grady Novice

Primed

Yeah, the color, is a off white gel with pure white primer and awl's oyster white top coat. It not only the color I was thinking about, but the epoxy primer ability to lock down the substrate and any sin that may lie under.

Also the primer seems too sand smoother (could be just me ) than the gel or the high build.

I tried that brush on some primer after spot repair. Didn't ever seem to look like the rest of the hull.( good thing I had to sand and reshoot the whole hull, Boy saved my ***):) Now look what you have gone ahead and done, you've got me talkin an thinkin like you now.

15. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

hehe,,,mus be da fumes,,;) ,,and the primer does sand WAY better,,,and you'll never get the "spot" the same color,,,even in primer,,,but thats o.k.,,,,it'll cover the same,,primer is also a sealer,and sealers work both ways,,keeps everything IN and OUT,,,and thats why it will not let ya top coat penetrate deeper in repaired areas.,,i would only worry bout color change in the primer if it was off by more then a few "shades",,,but as we all know,,,i dont mess with MY money,,unless i Frig up,,,,and i dont like using my money,,,,so i get "over careful" with the "customers" money,,and dont take no chances,,,,,,,,but with your colors grady,,,i wouldnt worry too much bout small spots ,,,unless they can be FELT.,,then i'd step back and re-do.,,,,,,but as your doing,,,,if you was to bring me your boat,,i would tell you (even with NO bad spots) it needed to be re-primed anyways.,,just because it sat all winter with the "old" stuff.,primer is good stuff,,,just not strong.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.