The AWLGRIP Knowledge challenge

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by grady, Dec 31, 2007.

1. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

hahahaha,,,,,Kapt is a "old timer" hehe :p
    what tape thing?,,,and look at his pics,,,closer then 2' and no strokes,,,,,well,brush strokes that is hehe ;)

2. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

I am an old old timer, ask my wife,--there I go again too much information--

The pictures of that Flag Blue West Wind you see around here are my latest roll and tip project. I try to help other guys like me who can't afford to have guys like you and Jim spray their boats, and don't want to buy a bunch of spray equipment that they will only use once or twice. So far we talked a couple of guys through roll and tip projects that came out great. Jim and I are very proud of that. I'm still getting updates and pictures via email.

3. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

afrhydro,
    Don't let Jim's ramblings put you off. When you get through the heavy meds and paint high you will find one of the best marine shooters in the business, he has worked for some of the most prestigious yards in the country, that includes places like Hinkley. Now he is putting his expertise to work in nonskid country. (not by choice) We are lucky to have him around.

4. afrhydro

afrhydro Senior Member

just a quick spray
    and one mosquito landed in it
    but its for me
    so ill run its biting butt off in the water at least he cant bite me anymore
    i think it was the one was chewing on me all day
    so ha got him back

lol
    awlgrip is a beautiful thing

Attached Files:

5. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

It's so damn hot the stuff just runs like oil

Ah, you Florida guys. Sure, it's easy to spray your awl-grip on warm 80 degree days with the sun shinning and the masquitos buzzing about like it is a holiday but you just come up here and try shooting with the cloud cover at about 100 ft and the wind is blowing 20 knots putting the temp at about -30 and the stuff is running like molases. Real men can shoot in any weather hahaha......... don't think I don't know what you guys are doing down there in all of that sun-n-fun.....:) :) :). Hell, if I were working in Florida I could just pour the stuff in my mouth and spit it out(awl-grip tastes like crap). hehe......

6. afrhydro

afrhydro Senior Member

yea thank God I'm in a building
    i did Marnia work for years
    i been around the block bro
    to cold to hot
    so hot you cant even keep a wet edge going
    then the wind would change direction so would you
    i payed my dues
    now its time for some pay back

lol

7. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Ya know, Juiceclark is building a 47' key west #1 in Ft.Meyers as we speak, uh type......you should check it out...Look in members gallery.
    You said you did some design work....Do you use Cad/Cam systems. I took juiceclarks 2d drawings and transfered them into 3D. I used Alibre mostly, but started with Rhino for the beginnings of the hull. I in the process of researching and (thinking about) building a 5-axis gantry router to cut hull molds. I have done alot of fiberglass work on trucks and cars, I like the idea of vacuum infusion for the small stuff and I'm thinking about applying the process to a 37' ft'er.

8. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Guns, Guns, Guns

Much, Hydo
    Hey, what type of guns you guys use? Any pressure pots. Etc....:) :)
    Does anyone think Sata guns are worth the money?
    I always liked my Accuspray/HVLP rig for furniture restoration work.

9. afrhydro

afrhydro Senior Member

wow no i had no idea a key west # 1
    i rigged one back in the day
    with a 673 detroit i think it was and the all the fishin bells and wisles plus it was a full trap boat so it got all that rigging as well
    way back when king electronics first came out we were a dealer for king

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

all the "gun" questions are like on page 15-17 on this thread.<i really hate typing,,so your gonna have ta go back and read hehe ;)
    and i dont think any gun is much better then others,,no matter what gun ya use you need to get use to it,,then once ya use to it, noone can tell what gun ya used,,,,i got guns from $600 binks,, all the way to $20 harbor frieght gun,,,and i can paint anything with them,,and ya cant tell if i used the $20 or the $600.
    hehe ;)

11. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Tinting Laquer: need very nice spray

Actually, Well, Yes and No:
    A buddy of mine at Hamilton Auto Body has a couple of Sata guns that are just excellent. When, for example, I want to shoot a shading laquer on an Amour, the quality of the spray has a big impact on the quality of the finish. What you are doing in this case is tinting your clear with a little bit of color. This lets you get the effect of shading in a color. Just like Candies, the candy apple red that everyone likes, that is a product of a "shading laquer". If, for example, I want to shoot an amber on a walnut piece, I just add a little "Maple' tint.......and instant 100 years of patina.
    Now, most of the stuff I have seen you guys shoot is opaque. If you wanted to move to doing some fades, or FX work, the gun will become more important.....that's all I'm saying....:)
    Oh yea, almost forgot:
    Try some "real" pearl from Pearl Art Supply. Hydro said he did some flake, well the pearl is a nice touch too.........
    Ya know what, I think we are going to have to have a convention.. . . ..How does Atlantic City sound to you guys...???? I bet I could get a local auto body shop to let us use their spray booth for a couple of days......Sat/Sun....I'll call the local Jersey awl-grip rep to supply the paint......and kick in on sponsorship.................................

12. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

The World's Largest Discount Art Supplier (this is pear art supply)....put a little in some clear and shoot a boot stripe over some deep blue for a irridescent gold tint......................
    Search

Home > Gold Leaf > Metallic Powders

Go Back

Gilding Kits
    Gold Leaf
    Metallic Powders
    Rub 'n Buff

Go Back

Metallic Powders 15 6oz Lining Rich Gold
    Metallic Powder....

.... mica, pearl and iridescent pigments have many uses and applications from traditional guiding and stenciling to furniture refinishing. They are the perfect faux finish products. These powders when mixed with glaze, polymer mediums or scumble create dramatic effects. To the artist, scrap-booker and rubber-stamper; imagination is the only limit to this product.

List Price $13.99

PEARL Price $11.67

Copyright © 2007 Pearl Paint - All Rights Reserved

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i use so much pearl its pitiful,,,,in fact the truck im almost done with is gonna be a gray pearl,,shot a bmw a few weeks ago with white pearl,,,,i also got a bunch of "air brush's",,,and im pretty sure if ya tell awl-grip that you got "surfer dude" painting,,,,they wont give ya nothing free,,i get enough outta them hehe ;)
    whats more important then the gun is the needle and tip,,,,that is what the difference in painting each kind of paint is,,,,,well mostly hehe ;)

14. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Hay Jim.
    I just had a totally lousy week-end. Transmission is still rusted solid, had to give my son the dock fee money, now I have to hide from the Marina people for two weeks. I waited all of Saturday for a "buddy" (now ex buddy) to show up to help me put on a teak dive platform that I made. Wasted a whole day. Had to do family stuff today. I feel like you - walking on sand--ain't never going to get there.

15. afrhydro

afrhydro Senior Member

oh shoot i for got to answer you on design sorry

no i do it the old fashion way drawing and trial and error
    one day ill get a cad program that i can figure out and afford

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.