The AWLGRIP Knowledge challenge

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by grady, Dec 31, 2007.

1. grady

grady Novice

Arrived

Gun showed up yesterday. (Just the gun )

When I ordered the Hvlp set-up, it came with two pressure regulators. I put one on the 2-quart pot and the other in my tool box.

Here's my set-up..... 50' hose from comp to filters ( 1 oil/water sep & 1 mist separator) the another 50' hose to pot. ( air in pot reg ) then 2 / 6' hose's to gun.

I was planing to put the second reg on output side of the air supply of the pot ( does that make sense to anyone but me? )

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

wooooooooooooooooooooHHHHOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo
    hehe,,,,aint new guns coolz hehe ;) ,,,o.k.,,put that regulator on ya gun,,that way theres no moving to see what ta hell is going on ( trust me,,walking back to pot kills ya whole rhythm,,hehe ;) ,,second thingy is,,,does your line from compressor to ya filters have to be so long? ,,the longer your hoses the more "water" forms,,,you should also have 1 of those small disposable filters (black round ones) right before ya pot,,,and i run 1 on my air supply line before my gun,,,,it goes,,, comp,air dryer & filters,,(pro set up not mine hehe) then regulator and separator then nother small separator (in line), disp. filter, pot(then more pot heh) ,then notha disp. filter, regulator ,and gun,,,,but thats a preference,,and try to keep hoses as short as possible.
    o.k.,,,i magine after i read this later i will see where i messed sumfin up,,so give me 12 hours before ya say im an idiot hehe ;)
    and CONGRADS on the new "baby" hehe ;)

3. grady

grady Novice

Can't Wait

Yeah new guns are cool. I was told that I needed 50' of hose to allow the air to cool down before filtration.

And my thoughts, on the regulator placement was that I didn't want to make the gun too big and awkward ( some of the spots can be a little tight ).

One of the biggest problem areas on this boat has been the walk around. the sole area is only 10" in some spots. couple that with a hull side rise??? of 10' to 12" means I have to get my hand and gun in there upside down with only 4" to 6" of distance between the gun and the surface being shoot.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...revised_date=1196787095000&photo_name=Photo 2

This isn't my boat but show the width and depth of the walk around

4. GWB

GWB Junior Member

Jim - correct me if I'm wrong but maintaining a wet edge accross the entire deck and cabin was not addressed.

Are there any roll and tippers out there who can paint the entire cabin and deck in one shot? Or is that not a smart thing to try?

Thanks

5. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Hy guys, back from the marina, short day--a humid 89 degrees.

To keep a wet edge you use a 4" foam roller. When painting a hull always roll in the same direction -top to bottom--never roll more that 2, max 3 roller widths, then tip in the same direction that you rolled. Don't stop, don't go back. Use a good 2" brush. The roller will balloon in about 20 min.. make sure you have a fresh one in your pocket. The real key is finding the ideal reducer percentage, Trial and error, start with factory recommendations and then work up 5% each time, until there are no brush marks when it drys.
    This is not the method Awl Grip says, but it works for me. I am sure other people have equally good methods.
    O.K. tit for tat I have a 4-108 Perkins that was under water with the rest of my boat. I have managed to get the fly wheel moving, but only after I pulled the transmission off. The tranny was full of rusty water and it is "welded". I need a transmission. Any suggestions? Locally would be nice.

6. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

You have to do it in one "shot"! Once you start rolling awl grip you have to continue until you reach a stopping point, but that is pretty hard to find. The deck must be 100% ready for paint. Fared and sanded. The actual painting of a 30'-40' deck should only take about an hour. (each coat)

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

your air starts coldish,,and warms the further away from the comp it goes,,and the wetter it gets on the way.,,unless you got ya hose in a fridge hehe ;)
    and im sorry,,i forgot,,even if i knew at 1 time heh,,but your right,,since space is a deal,,then whereva you put the reg. is actually allright,,jus not "the jim way" hehehe ;)
    and GW,, your probably correct,,(was a bad nite man),,im sorry,,and as everyone knows,,sometimes my "meds" dont kick in soon enough hehe ;)
    and unless ya slow,, you should be able to go round the deck without losing ya wet edge,,,,and again my apologies<<dont get use to it i dont jus pass em out "willey nilley" hehe ;)

8. grady

grady Novice

Well then the answer is no I can have the comp to filter hose as short as 10' and 25' would be no problem.

9. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

Grady!!!,,,I had no idea what, "well then the answers no",was actually answerin,made me back track 4 or so posts hehe ;)
    BUT,,,as we know,,sometimes i was told wrong,,,and i may be jus passin on bad joo-joo,,,like i said,,i was taught in the "pro" style,,and they could afford the $10,000.00 air refridge, and dryer,,,and i've just brought it with me to "po' boiy" hood house,,and nows its my back yard hehe ;) ,,so make sure ya ask 10 or 367 people ya know,,and take it from there.,, hehe ;)

10. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Let's rock and roll

:)
    Just tip your tank and keep the water out of it, Drain the hoses and keep the filters clean and watch the humidity for the day.........you'll be good...

11. grady

grady Novice

Clarification

Sorry Much, I was in a hurry doing 3 things at once.

Anyway, I was instructed to use at least 50' of hose between the comp and filters. The reason was to allow the air to be dehumidafied effectively.

But I have flexiblity in my set up, I could rearrange things. I was spraying in late august thru sept, and didn't really have any moisture issues. I drain the tank of the comp nightly and the filters as needed.( I have to walk right by them to get into the spray booth so their easy to check ). Some days depending on usage, I would drain them twice or three time a day other times I could leave it till my nightly shut down and there still wouldn't be 3/4" of water in a 6" bowl.

As far as the press input regulator goes, on the HVLP set up I used the reg at the seperator to set the input press. ( the change is there was a valve at the base of the gun to shut off the air to the tip ) I used this valve to turn off the air when I was setting the fluid flow rate out of the tip. It'll just be a little different ( no biggie ). With this new conventional rig I want to pay a little attention to the settings for consistency reasons. I not sure that's even possible I was pretty attentive last time, but would fiddle till things worked well.

The 2 quart pot I carry around with me. so lifting my left hand to check the press setting shouldn't be a big deal. And that will keep the gun as stream lined as possible.

12. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

nice going,,,i dont see ANY probs. withya set-up,,,but keep asking bout the "hose length",,ya got me thinking nows,,,if it was Riverdude,,forget it,,,,hahaha,,just KIDDING!,,but if it was him,,is a good chance he's right,,but i was always told the opposite ,,so maybe i MIGHT,,hehe,, be able ta leahhhrrrn me sumfin,,hehe ;)

13. grady

grady Novice

No it was actually the tech support team that sold me the HVLP set-up.
    I bought the gun, pot and separators from these people and wanted to maximize the efficiency of the set up. So as you well know I started asking questions about how to get the most trouble free application of particles on my surfaces

14. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

oh,,,o.k.,,,ta hell with them,,their idiots hehe ;)
    dont listen to a word they say,,,,is like callin awl-grip support,,,hehehe ;)

15. grady

grady Novice

Can't argue

Ya know when your right your right!

If only you could take things at face value, Awlgrip and company's like them are just trying to skirt liability. So any and all recomendations can't lead to any uncertain outcomes. everythings safe, not good, not best but safe.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.