The AWLGRIP Knowledge challenge

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by grady, Dec 31, 2007.

1. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

im gonna be using a brand new Binks 2001,,in about a half hour,,and to make it even more "rubbin in ya face" im using like oil rig paint,,,,can paint grease with the crap hehe ;)

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

quick recap,,,,,WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    wow,,,,that was like "gettin ya first virgin" or,,,maybe playing with,,,,,nevermind,,hehe
    o,,,that gun was REALLY good,,,so good,,i think i need another cigarette hehe ;)

3. grady

grady Novice

spray gun

Hey much, congrats on the new gun, Tell us more, was it easy to dial in? exactly what was being painted? Was "this oil rig Paint" an epoxy? Details Please.

I've noticed that you keep playing with your Avatar, You know you can go blind from doing that don't you.

The 2001 looks nice, is that similar to your old gun? And lastly do you use a pressure reg at the air inlet on the base of the gun?

My old gun had a air valve at the inlet, the new one doesn't appear to. ( hasn't come yet)

4. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

yours may come with a separate reg.,,the 2001 did,,,my guns ( just borrowed the 2001 from a guy that will NEVER use it and wanted to know if it was any good hehe) have both separate,,,and just a valve on bottom.,,i like the "on gun" ones better,,you dont hit them so easy when ya move around,then its not such a "SHITTTTTTTTT" the next time ya hit the trigger.,,that rig paint crap is enamel,,,hahahaha,,almost as thick as glue until ya thin it bout 1/2 or 3/4 or however much it takes to fill ya mixing bucket hehehee ;)
    but i thinned the crap bout 75% or more to get a good "feel" for the gun,,,,WOWWWWWW it was awsum hehehe,,,, actually ta tell ya the truth,,,it wasnt that good,,,not as GOOD as i was hoping,,,,and it was a 2qt. cup with 1 of those "drippless" vents,,,,,,that suks,,,instead of the "vent hole" its got a vent hole,,with a plastic tube shaped like a "shepherds" cane,,,,is a *&*&#@@# to clean.,,,,oh,,,, a dude (the 1 with the gun) wanted me to spray his frame on his truck,,,a 1969 chevy,,,,been in sand,,,,all oily ,,GREASY,,and the dude didnt even want me to wash it,,but i hosed it down,,,,,,painted over the grease and oil,,,and felt GREAT about it hahahaha
    sorry,,,,,,dont get that chance very often hehe ;)

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      59.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

I cleaned my brush real good. Works fine. No overspray.

6. grady

grady Novice

Speaking of clean up

Much, Do you field strip your guns after every day's shoot. I ask because I was just running some reducer thru it (too costly too use a lot), then using mineral spirits or acetone whatever I had around, I would run this thru the pot with no press at the tip into a bucket. Then I would take off the spray nozzle, and the material needle clean all that and wash the outside with a light bath a wipe down with a clean rag.

But with this new gun, I want to make sure I treat her right.

7. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

I just dip the brush in acetone then use warm water and dishwashing soap.

8. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ya man,,,EVERY time,,,everything cept the "knobs",,,wanna COOLZ secret,,,,,,,,,put your "spent" thinner and paint in a can,,like 5 gallon pail,,,after a few days,, the paint will settle, leaving reducer on top,, and you can SLOWLY pour off the reducer, and use that for ya "first" cleaning at the end,,,it'll take alot of the paint away,,and then you can use the "clean" stuff for the final cleaning.,,but i NEVA use anything cept my reducer to clean my gun,,,but then again i have like a dozen guns for different paints hehe ;)

9. grady

grady Novice

A Soaking

Have you ever soaked your guns in a solvent? I bought this spray gun cleaning solvent, that Say's to soak the gun in over night. (haven't done it yet). It's supposed to be easy on the plastics, I don't know really how necessary it is. But I imagined a gun caked with over spray could use a good soaking.

My Bud, you know his as The River Dude, uses a gun cleaning box that cleans multiple guns at once. And I'm not sure what he runs Thur them for solvent.

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

i would soak em (neva done it myself,,and not as rich as river hehe) but i would brake em down,, and still wouldnt put plastic or felts ( some guns have felt behind the trigger) in overnight. i also keep a rag soaked in reducer ( firedudes love me hehe) and after i do a shot,, i fill my pot back up,(then i fill my paint pot hehe) if needed,,then wipe my gun down real quick,,and when i leave my pot(paint) i leave some reducer in it,,just a little,, it probably doesnt help none,,not really sure,,,but my thinking ( which is "kinda" funny anywayz) but,,reducer evaporates,,even in ya pot,,unless ya can close the cover without any oxygen in it,,but as it evaps.,, it also working its way into every crevice,,,then before i do the next shoot,,,i spray out all that reducer,,it also helps when you missed a spot and ya gun is plugged,,and ya get a chance to "know" before its squirt time.

11. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

and ya know,,,all this aint necessary if ya clean up good,,,,so im told,,,,but im a little "anal" about my guns,,,,,and previous post bout the gun being clogged,,my son hasnt "skimped" on the cleaning after that hehe ;)

12. GWB

GWB Junior Member

How do you guys maintain a wet edge when rolling and tipping an entire deck and cabin? Or do you do it in sections?
    Thanks for any help

13. grady

grady Novice

Tipp-en

That question is best fielded by Kapt Jerr. He's painted a couple of good size hulls all by himself. Quite nicely I might add.

But generally speaking awlgrip will give you ( or any 2 part lp paint ) a long wet edge window.

14. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

gw,,,,,i was looking for the pics of Kapt. boat that he snailed,,,,and guess where i found them,,and guess who asked about keeping a wet edge?,,,man i hate that ,,but i guess if kapt. wants to re-explain it to ya he can,,and it'll be seen more here anyways,,,,try going to your own thread and see
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21327&page=2
    i've been trying REALLY hard not to spank on grady's thread,,,,but geesh,,i hate typing!
    hehe ;)

15. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Get a filter and pressure gauge for the gun, well, wait and see what shows up with the gun.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.