The AWLGRIP Knowledge challenge

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by grady, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Guys I will leave you in The 1Much's care. I only know roll and tip, Jim's the man you need.

2. grady

grady Novice

Paint in bilges

Anyone have experience with paints in the bilges/engine compartment. Awlgrip seems a little pricey, (for this application) but I'll have a couple of quarts left over.

Then again. main concerns;

durability, solvent and petro products resistence

ease of aplication.

The challenge of blow back may arise again, cause these are fairly small compartments.

--two fuel tank compartments
    --engine and battery compartment

It may prove to be great pratice for tight quarters spraying.

Hey Kap Ive even been considering roll and tip in these areas.

I'm sure there is a perfect paint for this application.

any thoughts

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

hey Grady,,,,ive used all kinds of crap,,and stuff for 29.99 up to a couple hundred for a gallon ( idiot rich folks),,but on our fishing boats we used interlux bilge----something,,lemme look at google,,hehe ( if that only worked trying to remember my "friends" names hehe),,,bilgekote,,hehe,,,,and you usually aint got much of a choice with colors,,i think we could get white or gray ,,,,,,wow,,,looking round this site bout the paint,,,,and 1 thing that caught my eye,,was this paragraph,,that i think should be in BOLD letters on every can of paint made,,(Other Spray pressures listed are recommendations only. The applicator may use any settings which yield the best results for the individual spraying technique and current weather conditions. Bilgekote is best applied in thin coats.) end of quote,,,take a looky
    http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...d=119&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=bilge_paint
    o.k.,,i think i might take the day off,,,,,man Jeff's gonna hate me on days off,,hehe,,run around forum looking for "family" hehe ;)
    oh and Grady,,i know you know no matter what paint ya use,,its a bilge,,and NO paint will stand up for as long as we like (Pssss i said that fer da simple folks hehe)< jus playing,,
    and like trace said,,,make believe its an "airbrush",,to do that turn EVERYTHING off at ya gun,,start with ya pressure,,turn jus BARELY on,,jus enough to blow a feather,,then ya fluid,,hold a piece of paper up and spray that,,jus enough air to blow the paper,,,now fliud till ya see SOME,,,but try to keep pressure down as much as possible,,,and just keep trying that,,once ya get the feel for that,,,,turn ya pressure up to REAL paint'n ( like a 1/4 turn on ya gun hehe) pressure,,,,(but not full pressure,,sometimes in certain areas you might have like 5lbs of pressure comming out of ya gun,,,,,BUT DO NOT MESS TOO MUCH WITH POT PRESSURE!!!,,play with gun,,,leave pot alone (instead send pot to Much,,"in care of" state of Texas Correction,,,,,,nevermind) hehe ;)

4. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

POT: just say no

It's not the smoking kind 1Much.....

5. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Let's go.....................................................

OK,
    So paint the darn bilge with awlgrip and make it look like the WestWind....What's the problem. If you have a couple of quarts left over anyway, this is a good time to practice. Because, I like practice, practice, practice........:)

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ooppppsss,,,no wonder everyone at the shop looked at me like i was crazy hehe ;)

7. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Logging results:

Grady,
    When you start each day, log the conditions. and a short evaluation of the results...These are lab notes, keep them short.

SUN SHINE:
    HUMIDITY:
    TEMP:
    MATERIAL TEMP:
    GUN PRESSURE:
    TANK PRESSURE:
    MATERIAL: (awlgrip), (poly), (laytex)
    VISCOSITY:
    THINNER:
    RATIO:

8. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Grady just use tried and true bilge paint. Don't get fancy. Awl Grip Is too volatile to use in confined below deck places--BOOM--not worth the money

1 person likes this.
  9. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

New boat

The1Much got a new boat...........Kaptin-Jer is right........:)
    it might get a little sparky down there without explosion proof fans....

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

its not just a boat,,,its "the LOOOVVVVVEEEE Machine" hehe,,,newayz,,
    Grady,,thin out that bilge paint more then what they say,,put on a couple "recommended" coats,,,then try a couple coats thin,,,it will act more like awl-grip,,and give ya a chance to "play" with the gun,,,unless ya "snail" spray it,,hehe,,cause then its also even a BETTER chance to try that snail painting,,,i still got it in my head im gonna try,,,but they keep saying "its in the LIGHT touch"..and well,,we all know bout my "grip" dilemma hehe ;)

11. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

let's go to Texas

Ya know, we all need to go visit "1much" in Texas, maybe he'll let us have a little of what he's been taking.....sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh......keep it quiet.:) :cool:

12. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

French Polish with shellac

Ever try French polishing with shellac, you get one shot across with each stroke while you flow the other.......each lap has to match perfectly.

13. grady

grady Novice

Just Boxes

Hey Guys, thank for all the feed back. The areas I'm considering bilges are basiclly boxes with out tops. two are fuel tank bulk heads and the third is the engine compartment. all wide open, all well ventilated.

Just ordered the new gun yesterday, should be here thursday (slow because I took advantage of the free shipping).http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/DeVilbiss/DeVilbiss DEVJGA510Boat.html.

This should make a big difference seeing that I was converting a HVLP gun into a conventional one by turning up the pressure trying to get the paint to atomize correctly.

Can't wait to get going again.

14. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Just look at all the money, and time, you would have saved if you listned to me. -----

15. grady

grady Novice

One focused Dude

Well Kap I have to say, You are focused!!!

My time (any money) spent spraying (and learning how to) goes a long way to a well rounded ME (craftsmen). Although I will say that I can see some brush work in my not so distant future.

My cabin interior will likely be my next project, and I don't if I can justify all the time and effort to mask and poly everything off. It's real small too, we'll see. So stay tuned..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.