The AWLGRIP Knowledge challenge

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by grady, Dec 31, 2007.

1. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

dam joeyzie guyz hehe ;)

2. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Sounds of the South

That's OK, I bet you catch hell in Texas with a Maine accent, ayh. Everyone in NJ asks me "where are you from", you sound different.....DUH. After 20 years I still have a Northern Virginia accent to my speech. It will never go away. It fades, but it never goes away.
    Hey Much, does everyone say "good'ol son a *****, partner"

3. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

ayahhhhnt,,,thay shore do hehe,,,,,they say y'all,,,and if im helping a friend,,they'll say,,,,"hey, could you help me "right quick" " ,,,i give em 1 of those looks and say,,,sorry dude,,im from maine,,,we dont do nothin "right quick" hehe ;)
    and WOW the women down here LOVE my accent,,( they think im an aussie) hehe ;)

4. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Yes/NO: I don't know

I can't get that silverton in Hazlet :confused: out of my mind. I really want to have at that hunk of junk.

5. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Too damn hot

Why are you in Texas? you are gon'na melt!!!

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

my ole lady was from here,,,,came down to visit,,got in accident,,,,and here i am,,6 years after "visiting" here,,,took a year off for a vaca,,then kid,,then accident,,,,dam rebels trying to keep me here,,they think with 1 dude with "common" sense here they might have a chance to "win the war with mexico" hehe ;)

7. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Be carefull what you wish for. You just might get it!!

8. grady

grady Novice

Long Drive

Talk about a small world, I'm going down a second time (getting married) to a Jersey Girl.

And although I raised my children and boat in Scituate, Ma, I currently live in Medfield, Ma.

It's here where I'm doing the restoration work on the old girl. (boat not fiancé). I think I've mentioned that I erected :) a 31' L X 12' H X 14' W spray booth. With triple filtered 28,000 cfm of air movement. Tons of natural light (entire front and roof & 10% of the sides.)

I need to rig some spray lighting though.

Friends are always welcome. Just bring smiles and an appetite C'mon down. (or up)

9. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

I am happy to hear about someone doing things the right way. Between cutting down on the dust you are also doing your part in keeping the EPA happy, but since you are tented you have to make sure you use a respirator, not just a mask.
    Is lobster on the menu??

10. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Yea, baby, let's shoot

Don't forget to hose down the floor with water.....keep the floor wet...
    Actually, you probably won't need additional lights. Lights in a spray booth are there because it would be a black Cave without them, in the open air with just a cover you get plenty of light. But, you still need to utilize the reflection of "that" light to see the development of your film (paint) on the side of the boat......On second thought, you might need to shade the boat a little bit in direct sun light, otherwise the glare will be so bad you won't be able to see....
    Also, paint in late spring, early summer before the bugs get too bad, and the humidity too high. There is nothing that a bunch of bugs love better than wet paint. They just dive in and crawl around until they pass out dead......

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  11. grady

grady Novice

Fresh air freak

Yeah I'm using a full face 3m mask with a pre-filtered (to catch most of the over spray )natural cartridge. I change the cartridge every hour.

I have done some extensive research on isocyanate's IOSHA says that natural filters will block the odorless isocyanate's but they will not commit to an exposure time. So as a disclaimer they state that as soon as you can smell solvents, you can be sure your filters have been compromised. (certain solvents attack the filters) ............ So rule of thumb change often ( their study were using 100s of hours of exposure ). And you never want to be able to smell solvents.

But I do wish a personal fresh air system was in the budget

12. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

Refit, renovation, restoration.......where is my chain Saw

Kap,
    You are right, I would have to take a chain saw to it. But on the other hand, if, and when, I finish my 5-axis Gantry router, I can do all of the design work in CAD and just put it together like a "model airplane". That's what I'm planning to do anyway, with a new boat.

13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

hose ya walls too ,,,just not TOO much water,,wet dripping hoses make a mess hehe ;) ,,and along with all that water,,,heat from either the "greenhouse tent " effect,,will cause evaporation,,which hits ya boat and turns into condensation,,dont ask hehe,,i'm dead against radiant floor heating,, thought it was cool as hell when Morris Yachts built me that huge shop behind theirs,,,their "engineers" said it was best way to go,,**#@#*'s,,,,hehe ;)
    and as always,,remember you need your overspray out,,which means you need CLEAN DRY air coming in,,o.k. too MUCH thinking,,,,it hurts hehe ;)

14. ratrace2

ratrace2 Senior Member

15. grady

grady Novice

Safety

I've done all the research, and have taken all of the percautions. it's just some of the application (real world ) was different than awlgrip said it would be. HOW STRANGE.

RR2 read through my orange peel post. I had a ladybug bloom 1,000,000.000s of them during my worse day in the booth. With any luck I'll be shooting the last 2 weeks in may into june.( approx )

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.