Anybody familiar with a boat like this?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Duck-sculler, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Duck-sculler

Duck-sculler New Member

hi, i'm new to the forum and i'm glad i found this site! I am planning on making a "scull boat" which is used to sneak up on flocks of waterfowl on open water. they are 12-14' in length and are relatively simple. here's the deal: i have a very old version of one of these boats that was constructed with strip planked redwood then glassed over. this was the original method these boats were built, later being made with solid fiberglass hulls in a mold. these boats are extremely hard to find as this method of hunting is slowly dissapearing. now, my boat has seen better days, she still floats but the fiberglass was cracked in several places when i bought it exposing the wood which rotted. therefore the wood now just serves as a core material with the strength being in the glass. i would like to make one of these boats out of solid fiberglass (as a lot of these boats are made) by using my boat as the base design. i plan to measure cross sections and construct a plywood skeleton of the boat. now here's where i'm going to need some advice on whether my plan is doable: once i have the skeleton built i will use sheets of 1/8" mahogany cut to fit to the curvature of the hull, to create a surface to work from. once i have this done i will fill any joints and sand smooth. i will then coat with epoxy??? or maybe another recommended coating so i can use this as a "male" mold. i don't have access to an air compressor and i read that a high gloss paint will provide a decent surface that a release agent can be applied to. (keep in mind this will not be a mold used in high production) then i will lay several layers of CSM with a layer of cloth on the outside surface, then a final coat of epoxy for a durable surface. this if all goes well, will be a finished fiberglass hull which i can then attach a deck to. another thing i'd like to mention is that this boat will not be under power, and will hold a max of 2 people. anyways, sorry for the long winded post, and i will appreciate any constructive criticism and suggestions. i will attempt to post a picture of what one of these boats looks like. thank you for your help!

Attached Files:

2. JEM

JEM Senior Member

Interesting concept.

Couple sources of info that might be of value:

book - Building Your Kevlar Canoe: A Foolproof Method and Three Foolproof Designs ISBN: 0070430365

website - http://johnrsweet.com/Mold.html#plug

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.