Anybody ever see this?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by man5, Mar 27, 2006.

1. eyes

eyes Junior Member

I have only used the bending wood from Van Dykes. It has a kind of core inside covered with wood layers on each face of the ply. I'm into furniture manufacturing for decorators here and never had a problem of any kind here using it. Don't really know how will it works on a boat. But the other link i gave you is really made for marine use. I will try to find more info about them.
    Please take a look at my thread "Flare Boat" and see if you or anyone can help.
    TY

2. craig mclean

craig mclean Junior Member

have you ever priced marine ply? look at the scrap pile again .. Ha ha

3. eyes

eyes Junior Member

What Craig? Did you get a quote on marine ply?
    If it is expensive and i really need that stuff, i don't sacryfice quality for price. And many clients pay whatever thay can to get a good quality job. Everybody expects that, even you doing your own work, or you're the type who works twice? uh?

4. Russ

Russ 60 year plastics veteran

Marine Plywood

Just a thought to consider,
    Recently I worked on a trawler (motor sailer). I had to remove nearly everything below the deck. That included generator, move the engine aside and cut out flooring in the aft cabin. WHY? the two main stringers, at their deepest 4 x 10, because of rot. A lot of the boat was infested with termites and they had even gotten into the main stringers even though they were covered very well with fiberglas. There were termite heads as big as yours. What has this to do with the subject? It is this. Do not try to get by with plywood that is not protected to the nines. Even in the best of conditions wood rots, simple as that. If you can not at least use Marine ply soak it in SEPS before installing. It is made by Smith & Company. I'll give the Address in a little bit. SEPS is (Epoxy penetrating sealer) It really does what steve smith claims. It is used extensively in wood boat resteration. I was a skeptic till I checked it out. GREAT STUFF!
    ---------Russ---------

1 person likes this.
  5. eyes

eyes Junior Member

Yes Russ CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer) is the best you can do for wood stringers. Let the wood have all that he wants, speacially on the edges. I'n my case i've decided to move to Foam filled, no wood no rot as i've talked with Russ. Making and finishing my molds today.

6. craig mclean

craig mclean Junior Member

well eyes im a firm beleiver in quality too. and using one piece of ply to core a large area could easily sacrifice your quality. I have been repairing fiberglass and gelcoat for ten years and have seen alot of strange things that production shops do to save money . now im the head tooler for a boat manufacturer on the west coast. one of my boats sold 85 last year. I know what people pay for ,,,yet i also know what they sometimes get.

7. eyes

eyes Junior Member

I know we can find strange things were owr eyes cant see inside boats. What i really try to say is, if you do a good quality job when doing a repair and take pics of the process, 1. you will feel good about it and will be a safer ride 2. It will last a lot longer or forever, 3.having the pics will increase the price of your boat when you decide to sell by showing the buyer what's he is buying.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.