Airex foam core needed urgent (duplicate)

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by BobDoe, Aug 29, 2006.

1. BobDoe

BobDoe Junior Member

Hello All,
    New poster here, I am desperate to obtain Airex foam core composite material for shipment to Bermuda. I require at least 10 full size sheets of 1/4" or 3/8" thickness. I have tried all the suggested dealers on the east coast without success, can ANYBODY help?? Canada, US , UK??
    Current project is an 18' traditional design Bermuda dinghy, past projects have been 57' 3 mast schooner and various sizes of dinghys. All help gratefully recieved.

2. westsail42

westsail42 Junior Member

I just got a shipment through Fiberlay in Seattle, WA. www.fiberlay.com.
    They can special order it and have it drop shipped directly from Baltek.

Minimum order is full sheets totalling 12 inches. I just got four sheets of 3 inch C70 (green stuff) for about US$1600.

It took about a week to get here (Pacific Northwest) from New Jersey.

Not sure if they will ship to Bermuda.

Hope that helps.

3. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Have you contacted Alcan direct? They must have some distibution for Bermuda, and if not, why don't you become their agent on the Island? It would allow you to deal with the company direct and get cheaper prices. There must be other people out there who want one of Alcan's products.

www.alcancomposites.com

I know a lot of boats and marine equipment gets shipped out of Fernandina Beach, Fla with the Somers Isle Shipping Company.

www.somers-isles-shipping.com

4. BobDoe

BobDoe Junior Member

problems with Airex supply

Thanks Crag for your prompt reply,

My net result of almost 5 weeks of email enquirys to the various distributers of airex products, given to me by three persons at Alcan Baltec in NJ,....have netted me nill!......those distributers, all but one ,did not even grace me with a replies to my requests..
    I was informed however, that all their distributers have to make a minimum
    order of five cases of foam core..... one person there informed me that they no longer took on any more customers, and all three said that the Foam is in short supply..... when asked why their distributers did not reply to email requests (on their various Web sites).... one person replied that they did not know! , after saying that She would look into it!
    Re; that sort of answers your question about me becoming an Airex agent in Bermuda!!.
    I have never encountered such a run arround in 40+ years as a boat builder dealing with supplies.
    Its a shame , really, as Airex is my personal choice...having built my own three masted Schooner over 30 years ago. out of Airex..... the Airex core is still good as new!.... I guess I will try a few more leads , before giving up to another product.

Robert (Bob) Doe,
    Cedarberry Yachts,
    18 Smiths Island,
    St. Georges,
    BERMUDA

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member