Advice for 12ft runabout reno pls!

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by jond, Aug 25, 2006.

1. jond

jond New Member

Couldnt afford a new/used boat, so found a tidy (but slightly rotten) fibreglass runabout that I'm renovating. I have NO skills but am absorbing everything I can!!! I've spent hours reading posts here to try and understand the process and have some questions that hopefully you'd be patient enough to help me with!

Stripping her down

1) I've ripped out stringers & transom, clipped/ground old rotten screws and chipped away at underlying epoxy but how clean/level to i have to get the floor/hull to put the new stringers in? I have ridges where the previous stringers were glued in still.

2) Old mat that was used to secure the sole (is this the correct term? Im talking about the standing area) is all over the sides... do i need to grind this out too? I have a belt sander and am a little concerned at going through the bottom!

3) How do i know if the fibreglass is sound? and whether any areas need strengthening?

Building her back up

4) Should I glass the stringers in? or just treat, epoxy then lay the sole/deck and glass that in? I'd love to use wood entirely but not sure if this would be too heavy for a lil boat! Have seen Nautolex or might even go with spray in bed liner for cheapness.. any thoughts.

5) Repainting the hull & top - I have no idea what the current paint is on the hull...possibly Awlgrip. There are chips with layers below.. How far do I need to sand down and any recommendations on what to repaint with. I'm aware Awlgrip not being great if the boat is in the water for 24+ hours. This might happen occasionally but it would mainly be trailered. Antifouling unnecessary for a runabout?

I know that there are a lots of projects out there that are larger and more interesting but any pointers at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jon

Attached Files:

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Good to see another Ontarian around!
    As for your little boat. Search "stringer replacement" on this site's control toolbar. It'll take a couple of hours to read all the results but it will be of great help in the end. I see you've already got started on that, which puts you ahead of 90% of the people who come here with wrecked glass boats.
    Stringers are an integral part of the hull. Gluing them in doesn't work, they have to be really well bonded, and tabbed in with good fibreglass. (Tip- cloth strong, chop-strand mat not strong.) I wouldn't grind anything off the hull as there probably ain't much there to begin with. You're familiar with how to make new stringers, I take it?
    Do you have a budget set yet?

3. jond

jond New Member

Thanks Matt! Yeah Port Credit will be envious when she's done! ;)

Making stringers.... not familiar at all, just from what I've read. I was just planning to use pressure treated 2x2, this should fit in the groove left by previous stringers. I need to treat with water sealant (?). Epoxy in place, then glass them in. I'm just reading up on how to tab in!

Is it a good idea to lay some more glass to cover the old stuff and stengthen a bit before the stringers go in?

I'm also aware that I need to support the hull when putting them in and put the top section back on so the hull isnt distorted. At least i could give the bow a good clean out with it off!

Budget is small (4-500ish).. thats what I'm telling the wife anyway! Dont know if this is realistic.

Thanks,
    Jon