ABS deck plates - fuel tanks?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by riverboathank, Jan 7, 2004.

1. riverboathank

riverboathank Junior Member

I'm considering using Beckson ABS deck plates(screw lid, neoprene seal) as diesel fuel tank (composite f/g) inspection hatches. Any problems with compatability of epoxy seal & ABS?. If so, are there other sealants available?
    Your comments & opinions are appreciated.
    Regards, Hank.

2. riverboathank

riverboathank Junior Member

After posting this thread, I came across some related threads posted by Jeff & Tom Lathrop (2001). I have built 2-100 gal. diesel fuel tanks in composite, 1/2" marine ply,F/Ged & taped, epoxied, baffled, and used an epoxy tank coating mfg'd by Ameron, available in gal. sizes. After conversation with several local amateur builders who have used the method successfully, I,m confident that I have a durable and safe tankage system. Accessing the proper tank fittings seems more of a problem.
    Regards, Hank

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I'm not completely familiar with Canadian regulations. It may not be legal to use plates like those. Also, they are not built to withstand pressure from behind. With fuel surging at speed they are likely to pop open. How much fiberglass is over the 1/2" plywood? Have you calculated the slamming loads?