1993 reinell rebuild

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Davidg88, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Davidg88

Davidg88 New Member

What's up everyone I have a 1993 reinell that I bought off an older person, he had the boat sitting for 3 year and the sun completely damaged it, I am in the process of remodeling the whole thing by summer and at the moment I am stuck trying to figure out how I can replace the flooring throught the whole boat

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

If you start now and work at it full time you may be ready by summer, but if you have a job and work on the boat in your free time, good luck having it done by the end of the summer. You will have to remove the existing sole, check the structure under the sole and any flotation material under the sole, and replace as necessary Only then can you replace the sole. Plus that there may be other issues.

questions;
    the sun damaged it? How, what damage? How much?
    Was the boat full of water or kept dry?
    Pictures? We need pictures to make a reasonably accurate assessment. Post some pics.

I did a complete rebuild of a 1972 Sea Ray. You should be able to get some ideas from my project. See http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/SeaRay190.html

3. Davidg88

Davidg88 New Member

Well the exterior is completely faded, I have no idea what he did to it because the whole floor and seats crack and raddle after I hit a wake, the cushions have actually completely came off of the frames and the frames have also completely came off the deck. I'm on this cite on my phone and also new to this I don't know how to post pictures lol

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you might have simply a boat that needs some cosmedic care or one that requires significant rebuilding.

Without pictures it's hard to tell, but it sounds like the sole has some issues and the age suggests it possibly has others, like a bad transom.

Faded gel coat is easy enough to fix with a buffer, but the sole sounds like it's delaminated and busting loose from it's internal supports.

5. Davidg88

Davidg88 New Member

Yes mostly the interior is the big problem the exterior I'm just going to repaint because I wanna go with the new style paint jobs. I'm just trying to figure out ways or places I can find and fix my whole interior

6. Davidg88

Davidg88 New Member

Well got the news today that my engine block is cracked, is there any other options beside junking it?

7. PAR

If the engine has some special value, you might be able to weld it, but a crack is 99% of the time a death nail for a block, generally because of where they occur.

The exterior can usually be buffed and polished to look pretty much like it did when it was new, assuming it wasn't buffed a lot by previous owners, which often is the case.

The interior is usually just bolt on stuff, like bolster cushions, seating, trim, etc. These can be replaced wholesale or repaired at an upholstery shop, unless you're handy with an industrial sewing machine. As to the structure, which is possibly another set of issues, this needs to be accessed.

Most small pleasure boat's value is in the engine, electronics and trailer. The hull is along for the ride - pretty much a holder for what you're actually buying. If the engine is toast, a junk yard engine can get you by, after you swap out the marine conversion stuff (manifolds, alternator, starter, etc.). This is a fair bit of work, but the average backyard mechanic can do it.

Buy a manual for the engine/drive package you have, so you know the procedures for this swap out. Generally, I tell folks to walk away from boats with blown motors, simply because it usually means you have many other issues to deal with, aside of the replacement engine. So, unless you have previously swapped engines and are comfortable taking a reciprocating saw to the cockpit sole, to get at rotten stringers below, strongly consider what you have before you. Lastly check out the previous threads here on cockpit sole replacement, stringer replacement, transom core replacement, etc., so you have an idea what's about to bite your wallet.

8. Ike

Ike Senior Member

What PAR says is true. Unless you have some special reason for keeping this boat it is going to cost a lot to rebuild the engine with a new block (and a lot of other stuff on the engine) or just to replace the engine. As he said most of the rest is bolt on. I simply chucked all the old upholstery and replaced it with new. Cutting out the sole and it's supporting structure and replacing it is time consuming, but the cost of materials is not anywhere near what replacing/repairing the engine will be. If you are familiar with wood work, and using fiberglass you should be able to do it.

9. PAR

A long block Chevy isn't very costly. I can get a second gen small block for about a grand. If you want the Vortec it's about $1,300, noting that you'll need to know the difference, as many of the parts don't cross over, between the second gen and the Vortec LT1. A full up crate engine,

[​IMG]

is in the $2,800 range add 500 for a Vortec.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.