1988 Searay Pulling out floor

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by ericlarnold, Jul 4, 2006.

1. ericlarnold

ericlarnold New Member

I've got a 1988 Searay Seville and the floor has rotted to the point of needing replacement. I am trying to find out the basic construction of the floor and how much wood is actually under the fiberglass. How deep can I cut? Looking for any and all advice.

2. bilgeboy

bilgeboy Senior Member

I just did a similar job as part of a large project, with adjoining bulkhead replacement. I found the floor had to come out to access the area of the bulkhead that adjoins the hull (as this is beneath the floor).

I had the advantage of having an access panel in the middle of the floor to access the central bilge and bilge pump. I could see how the hull curvature slowly rose to meet the floor. I began cutting where I thought the hull and floor met, rapping on the floor with my knuckle to hear the change in pitch from drum to solid "thud".

I used a sawzall. Start slowly so you can penetrate the plywood floor, but don't cut into the glass of the hull. Then turn the blade upside down so that the smooth surface of the blade rides against the hull, and the teeth are pointing upwards and can cut the wood. The saw advancement will stop when you get to the stringers. Be careful cutting on top of them.

Pretty easy job. Mark your lines in advance, go easy, and you will have the rotted section out in no time.

Of course, this type of job is almost always a can of worms....

[​IMG]

View from above, a clickable thumbnail.

Good Luck,

Mike

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.