1988 J-craft with problem

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by sil4u, May 30, 2006.

1. sil4u

sil4u Junior Member

I think I posted this in the wrong forum before.... So here goes....

Hi, I am new to this forum and boating, I just purchased a 1988 J-Craft and I am redoing the entire inside. But once I took it home and started taking it apart I noticed some spider cracks on the bow and top side of the boat. As well when I took off the aluminum plate off the back I saw a crack that goes along the intire top of the transom. The spider cracks at no thicker then hair line cracks, and the transom crack looks to be about the 2/8 of an inch, I could almost fit a flat screw driver into it. I was wondering if there is anyway of repairing this? I am not worried about cutting up the back to repair the transom because the plate will go over top again, but as for the front of the boat and the top side, it has a multi color stripe in the paint so I don't want to hinder that. Also would it be better if I posted some pictures? Thanks for the advice in advance...

2. hansp77

hansp77

Just general forum advice from me,
    try not to double post,
    (I did it too when I first joined)
    you might wanto go back and delete your first one,

responses can take some time,
    but generally they will come.

Pictures are always good.
    and lots of info.
    general descriptions will get you nowhere, except maybe posts like this one.
    You will always get better, and or more advice, the more you provide.

3. sil4u

sil4u Junior Member

Pics Added

Hi, I finally got a chance to take some pics. Just this is after we had fixed the crack.... What I did was dremelled out the crack to a good size and filled it with fiberglass resin and the clamped the transom together if four spots throughout the back using 2 pieces of 2x4 wood. It seems to have hardened to rock solid. Mind you I am new to this so I hope it works.... Let me know what you guys think. The last two pics are from the inside of the boat, do you guys think I should add anything there. I will also include a pic of the plate that goes on the back which is getting extended 6 inches on either side. Thanks for the help....

Boat Pics 001.jpg

Boat Pics 005.jpg

Boat Pics 006.jpg

Boat Pics 007.jpg

DSCF0070.JPG

Boat Pics 002.jpg