16' Garwood with Fibreglass Hull

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by AhmicLake, Mar 23, 2006.

1. AhmicLake

AhmicLake New Member

Hello,

I have a full set of plans for a 16' Gentleman’s Racer. I also have the plans in CAD form with the cutting files for a CNC router/cutter.

My thoughts were to have the frames cut out of 3/4" marine ply on a CNC machine and use them as a male mold (strong back) to build a foam core hull.

Then once the hull was completed on the outside, I would epoxy the forms into the hull.

I've come across many examples of foam core constructed sailboats on the net but very few powerboats.

The original boat had the hull topsides planked in 3/8" mahogany and the hull bottom planked in 5/8"

What type of foam and thickness should I look at using to replace the traditional wood planking??

I would like to use the West Epoxy system on the whole boat but I'm not sure how to finish coat the outside of the hull. Do I mix an epoxy mixture with a colour agent. or do I use a two-part paint to obtain my final finish?

When I'm all done my goal is to have an easily constructed Fiberglass hull with a black exterior, a traditionally planked deck, and a modern small block Chevy as my engine.

Thanks for any help and suggestions. I've had a tough time rounding up good books on the subject of foam core construction so any readings you could recommend would be great too!

2. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

Glen L has a book on fiberglass boat building that deals with foam core construction. Check out their web site. 3/4 inch nida core is what I would use.

3. rustnrot

rustnrot Junior Member

I have a female mold of an original Gar Wood speedster. I lay up a fiberglass hull then "plank" it above the waterline with mahogany. A CNC router cuts the deck beams and all planking and other parts. Email me for more info.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.