Where to connect a PV panel

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by jjoerugged, Jun 25, 2013.

1. jjoerugged

jjoerugged New Member

My boat has three battery banks (engine 4d, house 4d, and windlass/thruster group 31) I charge them with either shore power or engine alternator. There is a battery isolator in the mix. My question is where should I connect the PV panel? To the house battery out put terminal on the isolator, or up stream to the input terminal along with the shore power charger?

Also with the charger damage the solar panel? The panel is running through a regulator.

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Along with the shore power charger if you want it to act just like that (at a lower pace).
    The panel's regulator will turn it off or short it whenever the battery voltage exceeds a threshold, there will not be any damage.

3. jjoerugged

jjoerugged New Member

Thanks CDK. I was hoping that would be the case.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.