Typical wiring schematic/diagram

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by MCDUNK, May 28, 2006.

1. bubbajackson

bubbajackson New Member

New to Boats and 1 question please....

I am rewiring my bass boat to clean up the wiring spagetti I found. I want to be able to use one of the trolling batteries if the cranking battery dies. Can I just wire a switch to the cranking from either of the two that are used to run the 24v trolling motor just for emergencies? Thanks in advance and this looks like very smart and helpful people here, I think that is trait of boaters in general!

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Yes you can. BUT, how long a run are we talking about? Cranking motors draw a lot of current. That is why the cables from the starting battery are so big and why they aren't fused. These runs are usually kept short to limit heat in the wires, and they aren't fused because the current draw is so huge. There are fuses available for this though. If the batteries for the trolling motor are up in the bow then the cables will have to be huge, 0 or 00. A long run of cable would need to be fused to protect the wire. If your starting battery dies, it would be simpler just to move one of the trolling batteries and hook it up.

3. bubbajackson

bubbajackson New Member

Thank You !!

The batteries are all in the rear but the cranking one is tucked in behind the oil tank and would be a pain to get to on the water. The wire would need to be 5 feet at most so i will just use a good marine switch and some jumper cable wire if that will work. Thank you again!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.