Recommended reading for multi-voltage system?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by gardnerpomper, Jul 27, 2013.

1. gardnerpomper

gardnerpomper Junior Member

I am designing a small cruising sailing multihull (in consultation with a naval architect), but I wanted to layout the electrical system myself. I have never been really clear on how multi-input charging systems (i.e. solar, wind, generator, shorepower) all tie together simultaneously to output the correct charging voltage for my batteries. Can someone recommend a good book to read for that?

To make matters more complex, I am considering using some sort of electric drive for auxiliary propulsion (the boat itself is very light; less than 2 tons fully loaded).I may just use a Torqueedo electric outboard. If I decide to go that route, I would need a high current 48v output, and I don't want to dedicate a battery bank for that purpose (since it will be used so rarely). Can I get suggestions on reading for that purpose?

Also, I recall a small company that used to come to the annapolis boat show, that was based in florida, that sold wind generators and had written their own booklet on electrical system design. They seemed very helpful and I was looking to contact them, but I can't remember the name. I haven't been to the show in about 5 years, so maybe they are no longer in business.

Thanks!
    - Gardner

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

As far as I know, such a book has not been written yet. And the pace at which new technology is developed is such that once your book is on the shelve is will be hopelessly outdated.

At the present, there are lots of microprocessor controlled chargers that provided optimal life of your battery bank, but nearly all are power grid based. Such a device can be used for both shore power and a generator. Should you wish to add solar power, there are controllers with similar characteristics. They short the input when the battery is fully charged, which is the generally accepted method for solar panels. Although I never really tried it, a wind generator could be wired parallel to the solar panels.

For your electric outboard an inverter from 12 or 24V to 48V could be used. You'll loose 10% but if you use it rarely that should be acceptable.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.