My Pontoon (115 Merc) will not turn off!

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by rcadille, Aug 10, 2013.

1. rcadille

rcadille New Member

I have a 2005 Bentley 240 Pontoon with a Merc 115 HP engine Wiring Problem Engine will not Turn Off with Key or Kill Switch

The Key Switch and Kill Switch (Shut off Lanyard) do not want to turn off the engine. I have pulled the console panel to check wires. The only way to shut engine off is to hold key in, puts a choke on engine or crimp the fuel line and starve engine. The Black wires inside console all seem to be connected to Ground. Kill Switch Black is shorting to Ground. The Yellow/Black wire from Kill Switch is shorted to ground with Key OFF. Connecting it with Voltmeter to any Red shows +12.3 V. Key in On position, Yl/Bl wire from Kill switch shows Voltage Overload. I disconnected the Yl/B/ from Kill switch and ohm'd out the Kill switch. It appears to be OK. Button OUT - shorted, Lanyard installed, Button IN, is Open. At this point, I'm looking for some good advice. Richard 716-830-5151 or rcadille@rochester.rr.com

Attached Files:

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Did you try bypassing the key switch and the kill switch and directly connecting the two kill switch wires to see if the engine stops? Maybe try a different lug on the kill switch itself.? Squirt some WD-40 into the switches and work them 20-30 times, maybe there is internal corrosion. Maybe a broken internal part.

Check your ground connections.

How many batteries are in the boat? Voltage overload would seem to indicate two batteries somehow getting into series mode. Maybe a crossed connection somewhere.

Electrical stuff has the capability of giving me a headache.

3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Did you ever figure out what was wrong?

4. boatbuilder41

boatbuilder41 Senior Member

Button in should be closed instead of open

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.