Mercruiser trim indicator wiring.

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Duane P Wetick, May 12, 2013.

1. Duane P Wetick

Duane P Wetick Junior Member

I've always had problems with the trim stops and indicator wiring failing and this year I've had the wiring actually dis-integrate in my hands...and this is in a freshwater environment! It looks like electrolysis corrosion alright and I also think all the wiring in the boat is deteriorating because of it. I've since given up trying to make it work and disconnected all the indicator wiring. It seems like, if a path for the boat's circuits go into the water without some kind of isolation...you're in trouble! And its not just me!

Cheers, DocWet

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Electrolysis never sleeps !!

You need to seriously check first the anodes on the stern drive and see if they still there don't know what year you unit is so you need to locate !! Then get a registered marine electrician to check you situation and resolve it The wiring is just the start who know what other damage is happening !! fresh water of salt electrolysis still happens !!It never sleeps !! :(

3. Duane P Wetick

All anodes are in place and have been replaced when eroded. This is a recurring problem with no solution...as I see it. Even when the connections are re-done, they don't last. The copper conductors are in such bad shape that they crumble in your hands. I welcome any solution. An engineer talking.

Cheers, DocWet [ Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

You definitely need a qualified marine electrician by the sounds of things !! will be some thing simple for sure !!Sparkies are a breed of there own and if he knows his stuff will find and sort in a very short time !!:)
    Do you use shore power at all ??
    Just as a matter of interest what's the boat made of ??
    fibreglass ?
    steel ?
    wood ?
    aluminium ?

5. Duane P Wetick

Background Information: Boat is fiberglass construction and has been Marina moored for past 27 years, hauled out in Fall, re-painted in Spring with Anti-Fouling Copper-Bronze paint. There is no shore power in our Marina.
    I stand by my assessment that if 12 VDC circuits enter water without isolation, you've got trouble coming your way.

Cheers, DocWet [ Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]

6. Ike

Ike Senior Member

First place lets get the terminology right. You are talking about stray current corrosion, not electrolysis. They are two different reactions, and a good ABYC certified marine electrician should be able to sort it out quickly. You should have had it done years ago. You are right that if you get 12V DC in the water, you might as well kiss all of your underwater metal fittings goodbye, and your wiring too. If this is occurring, even though you have disconnected the indicator wiring, then the problem is somewhere else in the electrical system. Somewhere in the system you are getting 12VDC leaking to the water. It's that simple. The hard part is finding it. A good marine electrician should be able to do that. We won't be able to do it here.

7. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

You are right I don't care if he's a rocket scientist or a engineer with a stack of degrees as long as your arm , electrolysis is a whole different animal and has to be sorted or can do untold hidden damage every where !! in places you would never think to look including inside the water jacket of you engine and the cylinder sleeves !! yip seen that more than once !!!! the use of dis-similar metals is a whole science in its own and copper and bronze anti fouling ???:confused:
    I raised my eyebrow's with that one !! why I asked what the boat was made from !!:eek:

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Any skilled marine electrician will look around, where the boat is berthed and see the problem, likely before he even boards your boat. This is a common issue with marinas and not all that difficult to sort out.

9. Duane P Wetick

Well I know I've hit a sore point on this issue as I have been barred from commenting on U tube maintenance videos about this subject. Now that I have disconnected 12 VDC power from ever going into the water, I feel I have resolved this problem (at least on my boat).

Cheers, DPW [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]

10. Duane P Wetick

Petit Copper-Bronze Anti-Fouling paint Cat. # 1933, $65.00 US/ qt. (look it up yourself).

Cheers, DocWet

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.