LED lights for my 14' Jon Boat

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by thudpucker, Jul 2, 2013.

1. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I plan on the required Red/Green up front and a White 360 sticking up somewhere on a Removable post.
    Also several convenience lights inside the boat for Night time help.

I see there are Bulbs made up of LED's and some other Made-to-order LED light assemblies.

I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about these lights. I've been working with LED circuits all my life, but never have wired a boat with them:eek::confused:

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

What Do you need to know? wiring them is not difficult. 12v DC circuit. wires and a switch, a fuse and a battery. simple stuff. I would go for ready made lights, you can get them at any marine store, or order them on-line from many on-line sellers.

3. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

I wondered if a Resister to limit current would be needed?

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Assembled LED's will already have dropping resistors installed. LED's are the way to go on a small boat, as the draw is light enough to be tolerable, even with lots of lights working.

If assembling LED's yourself, you'll need to do some research and reading on the subject. It's not hard, but generally, also not worth the bother, compared to just buying assembled 12 VDC units.

5. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

Somewhere in the pile of 'old stuff' in my barn is an old Test set with the Regulated +5 volts and unregulated +12 and +28 Volts.
    It might be more time conservative to buy what I want. I'll find a way to experiment though. I think I have a book somewhere on LED technology.

I have lot's to do on this boat before it gets to the water though.

6. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Years ago I squeezed the nav bulbs in a vice, discarded the glass and soldered 4 white LEDs in each of them plus a 150 ohms resistor. Total expense less than $2 for all three lamps!
    Tried the same for the interior lights but my wife looks much older in the blueish light so I put incandescent bulbs back in.

7. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

LOL, we cannot use White lights at night on this lake. I tried to convince a guy that his lights were white but he 'stuck' with Blue for that evening.
    I think he had a Bass Fishing partner in the boat, and didn't look any the worse for the light.

I saw what looked like your adaption. I think I'll keep that in mind next time I head for those lights. I can't get my Wife into that small boat. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.