Fishing torpedo - wiring issues

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by chris083210, Jan 1, 2008.

1. chris083210

chris083210 New Member

Hi all,
    I'm having trouble with the wiring in a fishing torpedo that i've made. I have a 12vdc 200w mercury motor, running off 2 12vdc 7ah batteries in parallel. So the voltage across the motor is 12v.
    The problem comes from the timer, which is in the circuit, which allows me to control how long it is set for. This is a mechanical (manual)timer, but has been getting extremely hot in test runs and has been cutting out because of too much current flow.
    Im trying to find a way that i can use the timer in a sort of control circuit, while most of the current flows to the motor without going through the timer.

I would appreciate any ideas/wiring diagrams out there, as this has got my project completely on hold.

-Chris

2. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Resistance??

What kind of timer is this? If it's one designed for 120 VAC, typical house/light use, that's why it's getting hot: too much current.

Easy Kmart/Auto store solution is a 'headlight relay' or equivalent. A small box with 'Switch contacts" for your motor, and a control-coil contact to turn it on and off, which your timer can do.

Many of these have those 1/4" tab contacts which you can get crimp-on connectors for, so wiring should be pretty easy....

IF this is what you're doing!! Let us know what works out,....

3. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

What's the timer for?

4. chris083210

chris083210 New Member

Thanks Terry, I've since wired it up with a relay, and that seems to do the trick. I had to do a bit of hunting to find out which way to wire it, but it seems to have diverted all the current past the timer, while the timer still works and cuts the power when it runs out.

Thanks all
    -chris

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.