Battery monitoring, Gauges or SOC..........?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Akgramps, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Akgramps

Akgramps Junior Member

I am in the process of rebuilding and rewiring a 24' 1982 Glasply.

Have been thinking about how I want to monitor the batteries and charging system.

Initially I had planned on just using a digital volt gauge and 2 amp gauges, 1 on the alternator and 1 on the house battery.

I am now considering a "SOC" instrument such as the:
    Xantrex LinkLITE
    2025 Trimetric
    Balmar smart gauge
    Blue Sea VSM 422

This is a IB powered boat (mercruiser) w/ 70amp alternator (may need upgrade, but that will be a different discussion), three batteries total making 2 banks, 1 starting battery and a house bank of ~ 200-250 ah.

I haven't settled on the batteries yet, considering 2 6V golf cart batteries for the house.

I was going to avoid a SOC as most seemed like they had more functions then I needed, but then took a closer at the Trimetrics and now leaning towards the Xantrex, which seems like it will do what I need and similar cost to some quality digital volt/ amp gauges & shunts.....

Any recommendations here.....? Thanks, John

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Keep it simple. Go with the volt and amp gauges.

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

When your alternator is outputting 50 amps....how much is being added to the battery ?

This is important.

Your boat is simple, so perhaps you can guess, but on a more complex boat with many consumers running your 50 amp output could only be adding 5 amp to the battery bank and 45 amp to ships systems.

A meter that measure amps out and amps in , then calculates the difference is very worthwhile on a boat with systems like refer, electronics, autopilots,.....

These gauges are not expensive .

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The SOC system is the ONLY! way to know just where you are .

Think of it as your gas gauge for the house set. SOC = State of Charge.

It measures and LEARNS your battery capacity , and is accurate as the batt dies over the years.

A SOC meter should be the #1 first improvement on any boat that is going cruising , and will be anchoring out.

At under $200 its far cheaper than replacement batts , and weighs almost nothing compared to dragging big batts up and down a dock.

Monitoring your use , the SOC will easily show weather you need more and bigger house batts , or just a better volt regulator , or both a bigger house set and large alt to charge them.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.