Battery Combiner

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by LADYLOVE, Jan 28, 2005.

1. LADYLOVE

LADYLOVE Junior Member

Appreciate any info on the installation of battery combiner(s). I have a 1990 boat with 3 batteries (AGM). Dual 8.1 Crusader engines (being installed) with 70 amp alternators, Charles 93-12405SP-A 40 amp charger. Two (2) batteries serviced the engines and house. That is, one (1) battery to a engine and a portion of the house. Have a para switch at helm to combine both batteries two crank engines if necessary. ON/off selector switch for each battery. The third battery serviced the gen.

Any assistance, references, etc., on this particular question and any other matters in this area will be deeply appreciated. I hope to rewire in the near future (no $). Maybe, run most the house off the gen battery that seldom used???

Thanks, Wm. Love

2. Have a electrical person figure the total wattage of all the electrical things you would run at the same time. Is the auxiliary power system 12-24- or higher voltage ? Or even a combination of them ?

3. LADYLOVE

LADYLOVE Junior Member

Richard, thanks for the info. I have a 12 volt auxiliary power system. I'm told I should have one battery just for the engine (or one for each engine) and two for the house with the ability to tap into them if needed to crank engine(s). I guess I have several options, but I guess I need to at least get my gen working again and go from there. My gen is 14 years old and need some minor work. I really think I should get a new one, although I have not had the need for it the last two years.

4. What is the voltage and wattage of the aux. gen. ? Am I to assume everything in the boat runs on the 12 VDC only ? Cook, cool, water, lights, fans. If I had a choice between the quiet battery to power all house needs and a noisey smelly generator. I would use batteries at night sleeping with a fan. Put in a battery voltage monitor to sound a quiet alarm to recharge the house batteries during the day with the generator. Dock power must not be a option?------------Twin 8.1's ? How much boat . Do you have guests, air cond. refrigerator, shower.

5. LADYLOVE

LADYLOVE Junior Member

Thanks Richard. I have a 1990 40 foot boat with a 12 volt system. I have all the usual electrical AC/DC things, including 2 AC's, ac/dc refrigerator, ice maker, etc., and a 7.5 kohler GEN (120 voltage-7500 watts). Lately we have had only day trips (primarily why my Gen is out of service for the last 3 years). May attempt to fix it (myself) or replace it. I have dock power (two 30 amps), and opted for the 8.1's mainly because that what my boat club's engine advisor recommended. Like my old express boat (body don't like steps) and Silverton don't make the express anymore.

Didn't know of the battery voltage monitor you mentioned above. Sound great, but the costs quoted in BoatUS ($200+) will cause me to wait awhile.

As usual, appreciate any comments, suggestions, etc.

6. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

You are right about the generator being needed. Do that first for the cruising.Save the $200 for the generator. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.