Yacht Design Intern

Discussion in 'Education' started by James88, Feb 15, 2009.

1. James88

James88 Junior Member

Hi!

I'm currently studying industrial design. Our course at uni covers transportation and product design and we do have some projects that cover conceptual yacht and boat design. Anyway, we don't have lectures on maritime architecture and engineering.

Now I wondered if theres any chance for an industrial design student to get into any yacht design placement. I'm not quite sure what kind of theoretical knwoledge is required as yacht designer.
    In automotive design, you usually work together closely with engineers and technicians, so the designers role ist first and foremost to define proportions, volumes and lines and to create appealing visualy concepts.

It is quite difficult to find any information on that topic and maybe some of you have made some experiences in that field and could share there thoughts. I'd really appreciate it!

Cheers!
    James

2. tuckerpiontek

tuckerpiontek Tucker P

I am in your exact same situation ( industrial design grad ), looking for a path into yacht design. Here in the states I have found naval architects who started as industrial designers and through experience moved into the yacht design industry. I am not sure as to what kind of experience that was though, whether they worked as draftsmen and then moved up through the ranks, or whether they were hired initially as designers/ conceptual designers. There is so much engineering involved in yacht design, i can imagine that additional engineering schooling might be needed unfortunately. Hope you get some replies from people who have done our same path.

3. limeyus

limeyus Junior Member

At all the larger builders in the US industrial designers are hired and work closely with engineers/NA's (just like in the auto industry)
    A lot of the smaller design firms will also hire industrial designers

The biggest issue right now is the recession and a lot of experienced designers are looking for work.......

If you are a talented industrial designer you do not need extra qualifications to work in the marine industry, just luck finding the right opening!

4. tuckerpiontek

tuckerpiontek Tucker P

thanks for the clarification, helps to know that even though the job market is awful

5. James88

James88 Junior Member

Yea that's definitly helpful. :) And the job market situation appears to be bad in any field at the moment anyway.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.