Woking while in school

Discussion in 'Education' started by Design_1, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Design_1

Design_1 Water Logged Hack

I am a marine designer with an A.S.S. in Computer Aided Drafting and Design. This is backed with 13 years experience in the marine industry. It is difficult to return to school, full time, at the age of 35 with a family of four to support. I am willing to put in the time it takes and work full time. Can anyone suggest a good university or college that would enable me to so, without costing me everything I make working to support my family? I am willing to move anywhere that will allow me to finish with a Yatch design degree.

Regards,
    Camual

2. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

I don't know it it will fit with the diploma you're looking for, but there is a possible solution the Westlawn Institute of Marine Technology, www.westlawn.org/.

Very good designers (King, Gerr etc...) of yachts have studied in this institution and the diploma has good value. I wish you good luck and cheers.

3. Design_1

Ilan-
    Thanks for your reply. I have looked at Westlawn. I have also looked at MacNaughton's Yatch Design School. Does anyone have any input on them?
    I would prefer to attend a school that has campus study with ample work close by.

Regards,
    Camual

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

That's an admirable decision. My best wishes, really. :)

5. Design_1

Thanks daiquiri.

6. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

The input I have about the Westlawn is good; the school is old enough (78 years) to prove its value. Good designers come from the Westlawn: I have met one in France and he knew his job in yacht design. Also the diploma has a true national value as being recognized by different organisms.

The style of this school emphasizes rather the practical side of yacht design than the theoretical side. For me it's a good thing. The big defect of the french schools is to be too theoretical, so you have at the end of the studies, mathematicians ready to go to the Ph D but having problems to recognize the proa from the stern of a ship.

Other advantage you have not to move and look for another job, thus cutting a lot of expenses and worries. The disadvantage of the advantage is often it is very difficult to make studies being in the house with all the family around...I give you a tip: try to have a little office or room out of the house, so you won't be disturbed, and try to keep habits of studying hours every day similar to the obligations of a job.

The atmosphere and obligations of the campus can help sometimes, but many times it's a source of distractions.

I renew my best wishes of success and I'm sorry for being of so little help.

7. Design_1

Ilan-
    Actually you have been of help and I do appreciate it. I have known of Westlawn for several years, but had someone convince me that it would be better to go to a university. I took a job at a NA office in Louisiana modelling OSVs and Tug boats so the I could go to University of New Orleans for my naval architecture degree. I worked so much and was an hour drive from New Orleans. It was impossible. So I moved back to sport boats, which I have been working in for so many years.

Long story short, it will probably be Westlawn for me. Thanks for your input.

Regards,
    Camual

8. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Design,

IF you are already new NOLA you may want to rethink UNO. I know it has a good rep in the field, and if you can get a job a Trinity Yachts (they are hireing) their New Orleans office is about 5 minutes from the UNO campus. Plus I would think you could do some work/study stuff since I know the two have a good bit of cross polination.

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

You're only 35 ? Never the less, an admirable decision as Daiquiri stated. It will be worth your while though if you don't give up. Knowledge is something no one can take away from you.

Better share some of that here ok. I need that :D

Pity we want to wake up when we're old and suddenly want to begin learning and doing stuff. You see very few young people making such wise decisions.

Good luck.

10. Design_1

Fanie- How did you think I was? I know that I still have a long life remaining in boating. If I should be so lucky, the NA that I worked for in LA. was 82 yrs. old and he is still going strong.

Stumble- Thanks for the advice about Trinity. I may send them my CV and see what they say. I do miss Louisiana. We lived in Houma, but N.O. would be nice too.

Regards,
    Camual

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Ah, then he probably fishes. Fishermen live much longer. It's something in the skin of fish I suspect. The more you get in contact with it the older you get (and the worse you smell but what the hell) :D Luck has nothing to do with it.

So you're half way now if that is your measuring stick. Some experience and knowledge have you a head start in this second half eh. Just don't remarry and have another set of kids, that will really set you back some :rolleyes: Rather build a nice boat, (to fish from) that would propell you into the next dimention :D

12. Design_1

Actually Fanie, I think your right. He is an avid fisherman. I would rather smell like hell and be old, than smell and not be old.

No desire to ever remarry, just give as good of a life as I can to the family I have. Get them through college and try to give them a good start in life. With the economy the way it is now, it is a struggle sometimes just to do that. Working on a good boat now.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards,
    Camual

13. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Of course I'm right. If you're not going to be old you're going to smell like hell in any case ;)

It's a multihull then. Cat or tri ?

14. Design_1

6m sailcat.

15. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

You typed the '9' upside down. Had I not knowed better I'd swore you meant 'six' instead of 'none' meters :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.